Wingnuts Take Final Game Of Series
Sioux City-----The Explorers could not overcome a 10-1 lead by Wichita as they lost to the Wingnuts 10-7 Sunday at Lewis and Clark Park.
Sioux City took a 1-0 lead in the first inning on a RBI single by Kent Sakamoto, one of three hits in the game by the Explorers first baseman. However, Wichita scored three runs in the second and three in the fifth as the X's defense committed three errors in those two innings to help the Wingnuts. Wichita then scored four more runs in the sixth inning to lead Sioux City 10-1 before a comeback attempt by the Explorers fell short.
The Explorers scored four in the bottom of the sixth and two more in the eighth, but Wichita closer Josh Dew shut the door on the X's as he struck out the side in the ninth to record his 16th save of the year. Starter Jason Jarvis took the loss for the Explorers who drop eight games behind first place Gary Southshore in the Central Division.
The Explorers will begin a four-game series against the first place RailCats TONIGHT at 7:05 at Lewis and Clark Park. Reserve your seats now by calling 712-277-WINS!
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 8, 2011
- Goldeyes Start Home Stand On Winning Note - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Trio of Arms Tames 'Dogs as FM Grabs Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Extend Wild Card Lead to Two with 6-2 Win Over Wingnuts - St. Paul Saints
- Johnson Continues Dominance in 4-1 Victory - Kansas City T-Bones
- Blacksher Strong, But Wingnuts Drop Tight Game in St. Paul - Wichita Wingnuts
- Johnson, Defense Shut Down AirHogs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Bullpen Can't Hold Lead, Diablos Win 7-5 - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- RailCats Shutout in Iowa - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Brito Named Player of the Week - El Paso Diablos
- AirHogs to Hold Faith and Family Night August 12 - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Moore Honored with Week's Top Award Again - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints in High Def During Playoff Push - St. Paul Saints
- Brito, Moore Named Players Of The Week - AA
- Captains, Budweiser Partner to be a "Good Sport" on Thursday - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Longest Home Stand of the Summer Begins Tonight - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats, Voice of Truth Team up to Help Combat Child Abuse - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Sox Head Into August - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Wingnuts Take Final Game Of Series - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.