Goldeyes Start Home Stand On Winning Note
These Fish love playing in the rain.
Despite the spotty rain showers that visited Shaw Park Monday night, the Winnipeg Goldeyes (47-33) beat the Sioux Falls Pheasants (38-42) 6-2 before 5,035 fans.
The win keeps the Goldeyes a game ahead of the St. Paul Saints for first place in the North Division. St. Paul beat the Wichita Wingnuts 6-2 last night.
Winnipeg got on the board with a pair of runs in the third inning when a Kody Kaiser single scored Louis Ott and Ridge Carpenter. The Goldeyes took a 4-0 lead an inning later after Wes Long touched home plate off a Jon Weber single and then Weber came around the scored on a Louis Ott single.
The Pheasants replied with singles in the fifth and sixth innings before Long drove in Brian Myrow in the bottom of the seventh inning and a Carpenter single allowed Luis Alen to score in the eighth.
Louis Ott finished the game three-for-four at the plate, with Kaiser led Winnipeg with two RBI.
Goldeyes starter Chris Salamida tossed six and a third innings, allowing two runs and striking out six to pick up his ninth win of the season. Pheasants starting pitcher Kyle Ruwe is tagged with the loss.
Winnipeg has now won four of its last five games and the win stops Sioux Falls' five-game winning streak.
The second tilt of this four-game series goes Tuesday night at Shaw Park. Winnipeg's Zach Baldwin will take to the mound against former Goldeye Barry Fowler. Game time is 7 p.m.
Great seats for all Goldeyes games are available by visiting any Ticketmaster outlet, clicking on Ticketmaster.ca or by calling 1-855-GOLDEYE.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 8, 2011
- Goldeyes Start Home Stand On Winning Note - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Trio of Arms Tames 'Dogs as FM Grabs Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Extend Wild Card Lead to Two with 6-2 Win Over Wingnuts - St. Paul Saints
- Johnson Continues Dominance in 4-1 Victory - Kansas City T-Bones
- Blacksher Strong, But Wingnuts Drop Tight Game in St. Paul - Wichita Wingnuts
- Johnson, Defense Shut Down AirHogs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Bullpen Can't Hold Lead, Diablos Win 7-5 - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- RailCats Shutout in Iowa - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Brito Named Player of the Week - El Paso Diablos
- AirHogs to Hold Faith and Family Night August 12 - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Moore Honored with Week's Top Award Again - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints in High Def During Playoff Push - St. Paul Saints
- Brito, Moore Named Players Of The Week - AA
- Captains, Budweiser Partner to be a "Good Sport" on Thursday - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Longest Home Stand of the Summer Begins Tonight - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats, Voice of Truth Team up to Help Combat Child Abuse - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Sox Head Into August - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Wingnuts Take Final Game Of Series - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.