Saints Extend Wild Card Lead to Two with 6-2 Win Over Wingnuts
ST. PAUL, MN (August 8, 2011) - From one important series to the next for the St .Paul Saints. After finishing up a series with the Winnipeg Goldeyes, who they are battling for the North Division lead, they welcomed in the Wichita Wingnuts who trailed them by 1.0 game for the wild card and in the end the Saints took the first game of the four game series 6-2 on Monday night at Midway Stadium in front of 3,992.
The Saints managed just two hits through the first seven innings, but took a 2-1 lead into the eighth and finally broke through. Steve Mays led off with a double to left and with one out Ronnie Bourquin was intentionally walked. Wingnuts starter Derek Blacksher was removed for reliever Marcos Tabata. The Saints would get to him and it started with an RBI single from Ole Sheldon. After a strikeout of Jason Cooper, Argelis Nunez, Richard Mercado and Jonathan Van Every each came through with RBI singles to make it 6-1. The insurance runs proved important because the Wingnuts put together a little rally in the ninth.
Edwin Bellorin led off with a double and with two outs Josh Horn reached on an infield single to second. After Juan Richardson walked to load the bases, Carlos Rivera's grounder to Mercado at first glanced off his glove and allowed Bellorin to score on the error and bring the tying run to the plate in Gerardo Bustamante. He would hit a grounder up the middle that second baseman Adam Frost backhanded and flipped to second to end the game.
The Saints got a spectacular pitching performance from Alberto Rolon who hurled 7.0 innings allowing one run on seven hits while walking two and striking out seven. The lone run he gave up came in the sixth when he hit Richardson and gave up back-to-back singles to Rivera and Bustamante to make it 2-1 Saints. With the tying and go ahead runs in scoring position after a wild pitch he struck out Josh Workman and got Peter Barrows to fly out.
The Saints got on the board in the second on a double by Nunez and he scored on an error by shortstop Horn off the bat of Mercado to give the Saints a 1-0 lead.
In the fifth Mercado singled, Van Every walked and the two moved up on a sacrifice bunt from Alex Garabedian. Mays' sacrifice fly made it 2-0.
The same two teams meet in game two of the four game series on Tuesday afternoon at 12:05 p.m. The Saints send LHP Kyle Carr (1-1, 4.53) to the mound against Wingnuts RHP Nick Singleton (10-1, 2.99). It is a Tuesday matinee with a B-Move acted out by an improv group throughout the game. The game can be heard live on saintsbaseball.com courtesy of the Minnesota Sports Broadcast Network and heard on a tape delay at 6:00 p.m. on Relevant Radio 1330.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 8, 2011
- Goldeyes Start Home Stand On Winning Note - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Trio of Arms Tames 'Dogs as FM Grabs Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Extend Wild Card Lead to Two with 6-2 Win Over Wingnuts - St. Paul Saints
- Johnson Continues Dominance in 4-1 Victory - Kansas City T-Bones
- Blacksher Strong, But Wingnuts Drop Tight Game in St. Paul - Wichita Wingnuts
- Johnson, Defense Shut Down AirHogs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Bullpen Can't Hold Lead, Diablos Win 7-5 - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- RailCats Shutout in Iowa - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Brito Named Player of the Week - El Paso Diablos
- AirHogs to Hold Faith and Family Night August 12 - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Moore Honored with Week's Top Award Again - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints in High Def During Playoff Push - St. Paul Saints
- Brito, Moore Named Players Of The Week - AA
- Captains, Budweiser Partner to be a "Good Sport" on Thursday - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Longest Home Stand of the Summer Begins Tonight - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats, Voice of Truth Team up to Help Combat Child Abuse - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Sox Head Into August - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Wingnuts Take Final Game Of Series - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- American Association Finals MVP Chesny Young Re-Signs with Saints
- Saints Roll out #ClassicSaintsCommunity Series to Benefit Local Charities
- Nothing Trashy About the Saints 2020 Promotions, All 50 Will Leave Fans Buzzing During the Summer
- Armed and Ready, Saints Add Familiar Hurler to Rotation Sign Matt Solter
- Mr. No-Hitter, All-Star Eddie Medina, Returns for Third Season with Saints