Sox Bullpen Can't Hold Lead, Diablos Win 7-5
AMARILLO, TX - The Amarillo Sox allowed a five-run second inning to the El Paso Diablos and couldn't get over the hump to fall by a score of 7-5 in front of 2,442 fans on Monday night at the Amarillo National Bank Sox Stadium.
Sox starter Justin Garcia (7-5) pitched well, but took the loss, allowing six runs (only two earned) off six hits in seven innings with seven strikeouts. He did retire 11 straight batters from the fourth inning to the seventh. Former Sox pitcher and Diablos starter Colin Allen (2-7) got the win, allowing all five runs in seven innings off seven hits. Diablos closer Kyle Creamers earned his second save, retiring two of the three batters he faced.
The Sox got on the board in the first inning as Jason White walked to lead off and went to second on a Lee Cruz single. Tim Alberts followed with an RBI single to score White, while Cruz scored on an error for a 2-0 lead.
El Paso took the lead with a big second inning. Javier Brito led off with a single and went to second don a Uriak Marquez walk. Brian Joynt loaded the bases on a catcher's obstruction, while Kory Drew singled to score Brito. Johan Garcia hit a fielder's choice to score Marquez, while Maikol Gonzalez singled to score Joynt. Albenis Machado tripled to score Garcia and Gonzalez for a 5-2 Diablos lead.
Amarillo got back on the board in the fourth as Van Pope led off with a single and went to third on a Matt Tucker single and scored on a wild pitch. Ron Fenwick later grounded out to score Tucker from third for a one-run deficit. The Sox tied the game in the fifth as Alberts reached on an error and scored on a Tucker RBI triple for a 5-5 score.
The Diablos took the lead again in the eighth. Machado led off the inning with a walk, went to second on a Nelson Teilon single and scored on a Marquez RBI single. Teilon would later score on a double steal for a 7-5 El Paso advantage.
In the ninth, Fenwick led off with a single. Both Adam De La Garza and Cruz reached on errors to load the bases with one out, but Alberts struck out and Pope flew out to end the game with the Sox falling 7-5.
With the loss, the Sox fall to 38-43 while the Diablos improve to 27-53. Tuesday, Amarillo will take on El Paso for the second game of a four-game set at 7:05pm with the Aqua One Pre-Game Show set to begin at 6:50pm. The game can be heard by visiting www.amarillosox.com via Ustream. Game time is tentative and is subject to blackout.
Season tickets are available for purchase in-person by visiting the Sox Front Offices at 801 S. Polk or over the phone by calling (806) 242-4653. For more information on tickets, game times and schedules, promotions, marketing opportunities, and everything else Sox, visit the "Official Website of the Amarillo Sox" at www.amarillosox.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 8, 2011
- Goldeyes Start Home Stand On Winning Note - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Trio of Arms Tames 'Dogs as FM Grabs Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Extend Wild Card Lead to Two with 6-2 Win Over Wingnuts - St. Paul Saints
- Johnson Continues Dominance in 4-1 Victory - Kansas City T-Bones
- Blacksher Strong, But Wingnuts Drop Tight Game in St. Paul - Wichita Wingnuts
- Johnson, Defense Shut Down AirHogs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Bullpen Can't Hold Lead, Diablos Win 7-5 - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- RailCats Shutout in Iowa - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Brito Named Player of the Week - El Paso Diablos
- AirHogs to Hold Faith and Family Night August 12 - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Moore Honored with Week's Top Award Again - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints in High Def During Playoff Push - St. Paul Saints
- Brito, Moore Named Players Of The Week - AA
- Captains, Budweiser Partner to be a "Good Sport" on Thursday - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Longest Home Stand of the Summer Begins Tonight - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats, Voice of Truth Team up to Help Combat Child Abuse - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Sox Head Into August - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Wingnuts Take Final Game Of Series - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.