Moore Honored with Week's Top Award Again
SIOUX FALLS - Ben Moore may need a bigger trophy case.
For the second time this season, the Sioux Falls Pheasants starter was named Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week. The American Association announced the award on Monday for August 1-8. The selection was made by Pointstreak, the official statistician of the American Association.
Moore went 2-0 with a 2.57 ERA in two starts this past week. In 14 innings pitched, he allowed four earned runs on 10 hits with three walks and 20 strikeouts.
On August 2, Moore set a franchise and career record with 14 strikeouts against the St. Paul Saints, a record that stood since Jamie Ybarra fanned 12 in one game in 1994. Moore followed up that outing with a complete-game, three-hit shutout performance in seven innings against Fargo-Moorhead on Sunday. Behind six strikeouts, Moore earned his 12th victory, a new career high. It is just the fifth time in franchise history a pitcher has collected a dozen wins or more, second to Ryan Ford's 13 victories in 2008.
"What Ben Moore is doing this year is special," Pheasants manager Steve Shirley said. "It's not unusual, given his talent and hard work ethic, but it is tremendous."
On the season, Moore is 12-2 with a 2.41 ERA in 119 2/3 innings pitched. He leads the American Association in innings pitched, strikeouts (115) and ERA and tied for first in wins. This is the second Player of the Week award for Moore (week ending July 24) this season. He was also named Pitcher of the Month for July.
Moore is next slated to start when the Pheasants host the Sioux City Explorers at 7:05 p.m. on Friday, August 12, at Sioux Falls Stadium. Fans can purchase tickets online at www.sfpheasants.com or visit the Pheasants box office in person.
The Pheasants begin a four-game series with the Winnipeg Goldeyes tonight in Winnipeg. The games will be broadcast on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 1230-AM KWSN and www.kwsn.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 8, 2011
- Goldeyes Start Home Stand On Winning Note - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Trio of Arms Tames 'Dogs as FM Grabs Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Extend Wild Card Lead to Two with 6-2 Win Over Wingnuts - St. Paul Saints
- Johnson Continues Dominance in 4-1 Victory - Kansas City T-Bones
- Blacksher Strong, But Wingnuts Drop Tight Game in St. Paul - Wichita Wingnuts
- Johnson, Defense Shut Down AirHogs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Bullpen Can't Hold Lead, Diablos Win 7-5 - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- RailCats Shutout in Iowa - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Brito Named Player of the Week - El Paso Diablos
- AirHogs to Hold Faith and Family Night August 12 - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Moore Honored with Week's Top Award Again - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints in High Def During Playoff Push - St. Paul Saints
- Brito, Moore Named Players Of The Week - AA
- Captains, Budweiser Partner to be a "Good Sport" on Thursday - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Longest Home Stand of the Summer Begins Tonight - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats, Voice of Truth Team up to Help Combat Child Abuse - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Sox Head Into August - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Wingnuts Take Final Game Of Series - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.