RailCats Shutout in Iowa
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - The Central Division leading Gary SouthShore RailCats were shutout for the first time since May, suffering a 3-0 loss to the Sioux City Explorers on Monday night in the opener of a four game series.
RailCat starter Ryne Reynoso had not walked a batter in his first three appearances with the club but issued three walks in the bottom of the second, leading to the first run of the game as Ryan Priddy drove home T.J. Bohn with a single to hand Sioux City a 1-0 lead. The Explorers added another run in the fourth, scoring with two outs on a single up the middle from Wally Backman, Jr. to go up 2-0.
Backman, Jr. extended the lead to 3-0 with an RBI single in the sixth. Reynoso tossed seven innings, his longest start with the RailCats and his second longest of the season after throwing eight innings in a victory over the RailCats in May.
Richard Salazar was equally strong for Sioux City. The RailCats left eight men on base and had more than one runner on in an inning just twice, trapping runners at the corners in the third. Salazar allowed the bases to load in the eighth before giving way to Eddie Delacruz who posted consecutive strikeouts to leave the bags full in the inning before Emiliano Fruto twirled the ninth to notch the save.
The RailCats (47-33), who continue to lead the Central over Wichita with 20 games remaining, have dropped six straight to Sioux City including four in a row at Lewis & Clark Park. The shutout was just the third of the season against the RailCats and the first since a 10-0 loss to Fargo-Moorhead on May 22.
The series continues tomorrow night with a 7:05 p.m. affair. The RailCats have not decided on a starter while Sioux City will send RHP David Trahan (1-1, 3.38). The game can be heard live on The Lakeshore FM.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 8, 2011
- Goldeyes Start Home Stand On Winning Note - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Trio of Arms Tames 'Dogs as FM Grabs Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Extend Wild Card Lead to Two with 6-2 Win Over Wingnuts - St. Paul Saints
- Johnson Continues Dominance in 4-1 Victory - Kansas City T-Bones
- Blacksher Strong, But Wingnuts Drop Tight Game in St. Paul - Wichita Wingnuts
- Johnson, Defense Shut Down AirHogs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Bullpen Can't Hold Lead, Diablos Win 7-5 - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- RailCats Shutout in Iowa - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Brito Named Player of the Week - El Paso Diablos
- AirHogs to Hold Faith and Family Night August 12 - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Moore Honored with Week's Top Award Again - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints in High Def During Playoff Push - St. Paul Saints
- Brito, Moore Named Players Of The Week - AA
- Captains, Budweiser Partner to be a "Good Sport" on Thursday - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Longest Home Stand of the Summer Begins Tonight - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats, Voice of Truth Team up to Help Combat Child Abuse - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Sox Head Into August - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Wingnuts Take Final Game Of Series - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Ink Lugo to First IPBF Contract
- 'Cats win first game, avoid sweep with 7-5 victory
- Down to Final Strike, 'Cats Avoid Being No-Hit & Shutout But Lose 5-1
- De Jesus' Solo Homer Highlights Soggy & Somber Season-Opening Loss
- Tradewinds Sensory Room Unveiled