Trio of Arms Tames 'Dogs as FM Grabs Opener
LINCOLN - Fargo-Moorhead got strong pitching from three hurlers to snap a four-game slide and topple the Saltdogs 5-3 in the series opener at Haymarket Park Monday night.
Jesse Hoorelbeke launched a solo home run to right center in the top of the second inning to open the game's scoring, and end a 19-inning scoreless drought for the RedHawks.
Rafael Alvarez then gave the Saltdogs their lone lead of the game with a two-run homer to right in the bottom of the second.
The decisive frame came in the top of the fifth, when Fargo-Moorhead rallied for four two-out runs, highlighted by a three-run shot by Nic Jackson.
Dan Blewett (1-3) pitched 6 2/3 innings, allowing three runs on five hits to earn the victory. Vince Bongiovanni (1-3) gave up five runs in six innings to suffer the loss. Donnie Smith worked a hitless ninth to notch his fourth save.
Rookie right-hander Kevin Fuqua tossed a perfect 1 1/3 innings as a bridge from the starter to the RedHawks closer.
Fargo-Moorhead improves to 6-1 on the season against Lincoln, and is just 28-45 against the rest of the American Association.
The teams meet again Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. for game two of the four-game series. John James (8-5, 5.52) is scheduled to toe the slap for the Saltdogs. Radio coverage begins at 6:35 p.m. on KFOR 1240.
For team and ticket information please call 402-474-BALL or visit www.saltdogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 8, 2011
- Goldeyes Start Home Stand On Winning Note - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Trio of Arms Tames 'Dogs as FM Grabs Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints Extend Wild Card Lead to Two with 6-2 Win Over Wingnuts - St. Paul Saints
- Johnson Continues Dominance in 4-1 Victory - Kansas City T-Bones
- Blacksher Strong, But Wingnuts Drop Tight Game in St. Paul - Wichita Wingnuts
- Johnson, Defense Shut Down AirHogs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Bullpen Can't Hold Lead, Diablos Win 7-5 - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- RailCats Shutout in Iowa - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Brito Named Player of the Week - El Paso Diablos
- AirHogs to Hold Faith and Family Night August 12 - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Moore Honored with Week's Top Award Again - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints in High Def During Playoff Push - St. Paul Saints
- Brito, Moore Named Players Of The Week - AA
- Captains, Budweiser Partner to be a "Good Sport" on Thursday - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Longest Home Stand of the Summer Begins Tonight - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats, Voice of Truth Team up to Help Combat Child Abuse - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Sox Head Into August - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Wingnuts Take Final Game Of Series - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.