Williams-Sutton's Grand Slam Highlights Resounding TinCaps Win
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - An eight-run second inning powered the TinCaps to a 9-2 win over the Lansing Lugnuts (Toronto Blue Jays) in front of 6,035 fans at Parkview Field. Fort Wayne has had a crowd of over 6,000 fans at 23 home games so far this season.
A walk to Dwanya Williams-Sutton started the top of the second inning innocently enough. Then, the fun began. The next batter, Justin Lopez smacked a two-run home run, his team-leading 13th of the season. Later in the inning, Jose Lezama lined a two-run double down the left-field line, his first extra-base hit in five games with the TinCaps. Williams-Sutton capped off the second-inning scoring barrage with a grand slam, his third home run in as many games and his fourth dinger in his last eight games. The 'Caps sent 11 men to the plate in the eight-run second inning.
Carlos Guarate impressed in his one and only start with the TinCaps (29-39, 62-74) in 2019, as the 18-year-old allowed just one run in four innings of work with five strikeout. Guarate had posted a 2.22 ERA in 11 appearances (nine starts) in the Arizona League prior to his inaugural start with the TinCaps on Saturday evening.
Another notable from Saturday night's win: the TinCaps drew eight walks off of the Lugnuts (34-34, 66-71), one short of tying their season high for walks drawn in one game.
Sunday, Sept. 1 vs. Lansing (6:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Omar Cruz
- Lugnuts Probable Starter: RHP Cobi Johnson
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Chicago Cubs Pitcher Derek Holland Expected to Pitch for South Bend Cubs on Rehab Assignment Sunday - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Blow out Bees, Remain Tied for First - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Claim Second-Half Eastern Division Title with 5-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Thump Chiefs in 7th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Clinch First Place in Eastern Division and Beat Cubs 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Series-Opening Shutout in Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Greene Sparks Whitecaps Rally in 5-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Loses Close Game 3-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Beat Beloit 3-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Shut out Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Big 6th Inning Lifts West Michigan to Comeback Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Williams-Sutton's Grand Slam Highlights Resounding TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Williams-Sutton Slams Lugnuts, 9-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Prospect Infielders Hiraldo and Jimenez Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chris Williams joins Kernels from Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lansing (Game 136) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Edwuin Bencomo transferred from Fort Wayne to High-A Lake Elsinore Storm - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Punch Their Ticket to the Postseason - South Bend Cubs
- Cubs Clinch Playoff Berth in 6-4 Victory over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps to Enhance Parkview Field Experience in 2020
- Former Fort Wayne Players in 2019 MLB Postseason
- 57 Former Fort Wayne Players in Major Leagues in 2019
- Fort Wayne Nominated for Minor League Baseball's Patriot Award
- Fort Wayne Ranks No. 6 Among Minor League Markets