Chicago Cubs Pitcher Derek Holland Expected to Pitch for South Bend Cubs on Rehab Assignment Sunday
SOUTH BEND, IN - As he works his way back from the Major League Baseball injured list because of a left wrist contusion, Chicago Cubs pitcher Derek Holland is expected to begin a rehabilitation assignment with the South Bend Cubs beginning today (Sunday, September 1) when the club hosts the Bowling Green Hot Rods at 2:05 p.m. Gates open at 12:00 p.m.
Holland was one of the pieces acquired at the trade deadline by the Chicago Cubs from San Francisco in exchange for cash considerations. Since debuting with Chicago on July 27, the 32-year-old Holland has appeared in 12 games with the club while giving up five runs in 9.2 innings pitched. The lefty has added eight strikeouts. Holland has pitched in the Big Leagues since 2009 with the Texas Rangers, Chicago White Sox, San Francisco Giants, and now the Cubs.
This will be the eighth different player to appear in South Bend and the 10th total Major League rehab assignment since the club became a Chicago Cubs affiliate. Dexter Fowler had a one game assignment on July 8, 2016, while Jason Heyward had two stints in 2017. In 2018, Yu Darvish pitched on June 25 and August 19 at Four Winds Field while former Cub, Drew Smyly, pitched one inning on August 30. This season on April 17, Mike Montgomery tossed two shutout innings at Four Winds Field. In May of this season, catcher Victor Caratini played in five games for South Bend. And in August of 2019, Ben Zobrist played three games with the club.
Tickets to Sunday afternoon's game can be purchased by visiting the South Bend Cubs Box Office, calling (574) 235-9988, or. All times are listed in Eastern Time.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Chicago Cubs Pitcher Derek Holland Expected to Pitch for South Bend Cubs on Rehab Assignment Sunday - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Blow out Bees, Remain Tied for First - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Claim Second-Half Eastern Division Title with 5-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Thump Chiefs in 7th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Clinch First Place in Eastern Division and Beat Cubs 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Series-Opening Shutout in Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Greene Sparks Whitecaps Rally in 5-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Loses Close Game 3-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Beat Beloit 3-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Shut out Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Big 6th Inning Lifts West Michigan to Comeback Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Williams-Sutton's Grand Slam Highlights Resounding TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Williams-Sutton Slams Lugnuts, 9-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Prospect Infielders Hiraldo and Jimenez Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chris Williams joins Kernels from Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lansing (Game 136) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Edwuin Bencomo transferred from Fort Wayne to High-A Lake Elsinore Storm - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Punch Their Ticket to the Postseason - South Bend Cubs
- Cubs Clinch Playoff Berth in 6-4 Victory over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- FAQ: Stu & Swoop's Cops and Goblins on October 26
- Cops & Goblins Tickets Available at Cubs Den Saturday
- South Bend Cubs Host VIP Football Watch Party October 10
- Video Board Message Donations Return for Breast Cancer Awareness MonthÃÂ
- Cubs Host Final Movie Night and Fireworks Show for Charity