Chris Williams joins Kernels from Fort Myers
Cedar Rapids, IA - The Cedar Rapids Kernels and Minnesota Twins announce that C/INF Chris Williams has rejoined the Kernels from Fort Myers, and C Kyle Schmidt has been placed on the 7-day injured list, retroactive to August 29th, with a lower back strain. Brian Maloney, Senior Manager of Minor League Operations, announced the moves.
Williams played in 57 games for the Kernels before being promoted to Fort Myers on July 25th, batting .215 (38-181) with 10 HR and 30 RBI. He was selected by the Twins in the 8th round of the 2018 First Year Player Draft out of Clemson.
Schmidt joined the Kernels on August 8th and played in 11 games, batting .053 (2-38) with a double and RBI. He was selected by the Twins in the 33rd round of the 2019 First Year Player Draft out of Richmond.
Williams is active and available for tonight's 6:30 PM game at Beloit. With today's transactions, the Kernels roster remains at the MWL maximum of 25 active players, with six players currently on the injured list and one player on an MLB rehab assignment.
The Kernels wrap up the 2019 MWL regular season on the road at Beloit starting tonight at 6:30 PM. They host the Quad Cities River Bandits on Wednesday, September 4th in game one of a best-of-three series in the first round of the MWL playoffs, with games 2 and 3 in Quad Cities.
Thomas Breach brings you all of the play-by-play on the radio home of Kernels baseball, 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM. Fans may listen on-line at www.kmryradio.com, or www.kernels.com. Fans may also stream all 70 Kernels home game and selected road games via a MiLB.TV subscription. Visit www.milb.com for MiLB.TV subscription information.
Tickets may be purchased on-line at www.kernels.com, or by calling the Kernels Ticket Office at 896-7560. Ticket office hours are 10 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday, and 10 am to 2 pm on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Chicago Cubs Pitcher Derek Holland Expected to Pitch for South Bend Cubs on Rehab Assignment Sunday - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Blow out Bees, Remain Tied for First - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Claim Second-Half Eastern Division Title with 5-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Thump Chiefs in 7th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Clinch First Place in Eastern Division and Beat Cubs 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Series-Opening Shutout in Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Greene Sparks Whitecaps Rally in 5-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Loses Close Game 3-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Beat Beloit 3-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Shut out Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Big 6th Inning Lifts West Michigan to Comeback Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Williams-Sutton's Grand Slam Highlights Resounding TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Williams-Sutton Slams Lugnuts, 9-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Prospect Infielders Hiraldo and Jimenez Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chris Williams joins Kernels from Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lansing (Game 136) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Edwuin Bencomo transferred from Fort Wayne to High-A Lake Elsinore Storm - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Punch Their Ticket to the Postseason - South Bend Cubs
- Cubs Clinch Playoff Berth in 6-4 Victory over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled
- Nick Adenhart Scholarships Awarded to two Eastern Iowa High School Graduates
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks