Greene Sparks Whitecaps Rally in 5-4 Win
DAYTON. OH - A five-run sixth inning propelled the West Michigan Whitecaps to a 5-4 come-from-behind victory over the Dayton Dragons Saturday night in front of 9,189 fans at Fifth Third Field.
The victory marks the second straight day in which West Michigan completed a one-run win. The "Caps have won back-to-back games on the strength of outstanding work by their pitching staff, headlined by the first double-digit strikeout game by starter Sandel De La Cruz and a bases-clearing triple by Riley Greene in the sixth.
The Dragons opened the ballgame with their first three hitters scoring in the first inning. Second baseman Claudio Finol blasted a two-run homer to left field to help give Dayton an early 3-0 lead. After the Dragons added a run in the fifth, the Whitecaps exploded to take the lead with a five-run sixth. Riley Greene ripped a three-run triple and scored one pitch later on a wild pickoff throw to help West Michigan tie the game at four. After a two-out walk and stolen base by Dayton Dugas, a go-ahead single by Zach Malis gave the "Caps a 5-4 lead. Meanwhile, Whitecaps pitchers settled down after a rocky first inning as De La Cruz and relievers Michael Bienlien and Jared Tobey combined to send the team to its second-straight victory.
De La Cruz (4-4) tossed six innings in a quality start featuring a career-high ten strikeouts to earn his fourth win of the year to end his season. Dragons lefty Connor Curlis (4-6) allowed all five "Caps runs in relief in suffering his sixth defeat of 2019. Jared Tobey, reassigned to West Michigan earlier in the day to help a taxed bullpen, returned to strike out Dayton pinch-hitter Matt Lloyd in the ninth to end the game. The strikeout gave the lefty his second save as a member of the "Caps. West Michigan's record improves to 48-89 overall in 2019 and 27-41 in the Midwest League's second-half standings. Dayton falls to 57-81 and 29-38 in the back half of the 2019 season. Greene led the Whitecaps at the plate with a 2-for-4 performance with three RBIs in the win.
The Whitecaps continue this season-ending three-game series against the Dayton Dragons at Fifth Third Field Sunday at 2:00 pm. Robbie Welhaf starts for West Michigan against Dayton pitcher Eduardo Salazar. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty begins on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 1:50 pm. Tickets are available for any Whitecaps 2020 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Chicago Cubs Pitcher Derek Holland Expected to Pitch for South Bend Cubs on Rehab Assignment Sunday - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Blow out Bees, Remain Tied for First - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Claim Second-Half Eastern Division Title with 5-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Thump Chiefs in 7th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Clinch First Place in Eastern Division and Beat Cubs 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Series-Opening Shutout in Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Greene Sparks Whitecaps Rally in 5-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Loses Close Game 3-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Beat Beloit 3-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Shut out Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Big 6th Inning Lifts West Michigan to Comeback Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Williams-Sutton's Grand Slam Highlights Resounding TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Williams-Sutton Slams Lugnuts, 9-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Prospect Infielders Hiraldo and Jimenez Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chris Williams joins Kernels from Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lansing (Game 136) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Edwuin Bencomo transferred from Fort Wayne to High-A Lake Elsinore Storm - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Punch Their Ticket to the Postseason - South Bend Cubs
- Cubs Clinch Playoff Berth in 6-4 Victory over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.