Cougars Blow out Bees, Remain Tied for First
Geneva, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (79-58, 44-24) returned home for the first time in over a week and blew out the Burlington Bees (66-72, 27-41) 9-1 on Saturday night in front of 8,473 fans at Northwestern Field. The win keeps the Cougars in a first-place tie with the Clinton LumberKings with two games remaining.
The Cougars grabbed a second inning run when Bees' shortstop Adrian Rondon misfired on a throw to complete a double play, allowing Tra Holmes to score and make it 1-0. In the fourth, Buddy Kennedy made it 2-0 with an RBI triple. Blaze Alexander added a sacrifice fly and Nick Dalesandro's RBI single stretched the lead to 4-0.
The Cougars broke it open with a five-run fifth. Alexander, David Garza, Joey Rose and Keshawn Lynch all had runs driven in to put the Cougars in front 9-0. The Bees got a ninth inning run after Johan Sala led off with a single and later scored on a wild pitch.
Luis Frias finished one out shy of a win for the Cougars on the mound. He went 4.2 innings with no runs and two hits with four walks and four strikeouts. Ethan Larrison (3-0) earned the in with 1.1 innings of shutout ball. Jackson Goddard (2) earned the save in 3.0 innings of one-run baseball. Clay Chatham (2-4) suffered the loss, giving up seven runs (five earned) in 4.1 innings.
Game and Bees match up in game two of the three-game set on Sunday night at 6:30 p.m. Follow the action live on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Chicago Cubs Pitcher Derek Holland Expected to Pitch for South Bend Cubs on Rehab Assignment Sunday - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Blow out Bees, Remain Tied for First - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Claim Second-Half Eastern Division Title with 5-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Thump Chiefs in 7th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Clinch First Place in Eastern Division and Beat Cubs 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Series-Opening Shutout in Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Greene Sparks Whitecaps Rally in 5-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Loses Close Game 3-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Beat Beloit 3-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Shut out Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Big 6th Inning Lifts West Michigan to Comeback Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Williams-Sutton's Grand Slam Highlights Resounding TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Williams-Sutton Slams Lugnuts, 9-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Prospect Infielders Hiraldo and Jimenez Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chris Williams joins Kernels from Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lansing (Game 136) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Edwuin Bencomo transferred from Fort Wayne to High-A Lake Elsinore Storm - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Punch Their Ticket to the Postseason - South Bend Cubs
- Cubs Clinch Playoff Berth in 6-4 Victory over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.