South Bend Cubs Punch Their Ticket to the Postseason
SOUTH BEND, IN - For the first time since 2016, the South Bend Cubs have clinched a spot in the Midwest League playoffs, although much still has to be decided.
With last night's win over the Fort Wayne Tincaps combined with the Lansing Lugnuts loss, South Bend has guaranteed themselves a spot in the playoffs and are only four games back of division leading Bowling Green Hot Rods. The Hot Rods come to Four Winds Field to wrap up the 2019 regular season. Due to the cancelled game at Bowling Green earlier this week, a makeup game could be played as part of a doubleheader on Monday. For that to happen, South Bend must win the first two games on Saturday and Sunday. In order for South Bend to win the division, they will need to sweep all four games against Bowling Green and would be tied for the division. Since the Cubs own the tiebreaker, they would be declared the Eastern Division Second Half Champions.
Tickets for game one of the postseason would go on sale immediately after South Bend's fate is determined. Should the Cubs lose one game of the next four, they will win the Wild Card and play at Four Winds Field on Wednesday, September 4. If South Bend wins all four games, they will be declared the second half division champions and play the Best of Three series at Four Winds Field on Thursday, September 5 and if necessary, Friday, September 6. Gates for all three games will open at 6:00 p.m. and first pitch would be 7:05 p.m.
Dugout box seats are $14 and field box seats are $12 in advance. Ticket prices will go up one dollar on the day of the game, so fans are encouraged to purchase their tickets in advance. Tickets can be purchased at the South Bend Cubs Box Office, by visiting SouthBendCubs.com, or by calling (574) 235-9988.
No matter which day South Bend will host their first game, fans will be able to enjoy Thirsty Thursday drink specials for the first game of the playoff series (either Wednesday or Thursday). Fountain sodas (20oz.) and domestic draft beer (16 oz.) will be available for $2.00.
The full breakdown of the Midwest League Postseason schedule is posted below:
Round 1 - Division Quarterfinal - Best of 3 (September 4 - 6)
Series #1 - Eastern First Half Champion (Great Lakes Loons) vs. Eastern First Half Wild Card (Lake County Captains)
Series #2 - Western First Half Champion (Quad Cities River Bandits) vs. Western First Half Wild Card (Cedar Rapids Kernels)
Series #3 - Eastern Second Half Champion (TBA) vs. Eastern Second Half Wild Card (TBA)
Series #4 - Western Second Half Champion (TBA) vs. Western Second Half Wild Card (TBA)
Round 2 - Division Championship - Best of 3 (September 7 - 9)
Series # 5 - Eastern Series #1 Winner vs. Eastern Series #3 Winner
Series # 6 - Western Series #2 Winner vs. Western Series #4 Winner
Round 3 - League Championship - Best of 5 (September 11 - 16)
Series #7 - Eastern Division Champion vs. Western Division Champion
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Chicago Cubs Pitcher Derek Holland Expected to Pitch for South Bend Cubs on Rehab Assignment Sunday - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Blow out Bees, Remain Tied for First - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Claim Second-Half Eastern Division Title with 5-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Thump Chiefs in 7th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Clinch First Place in Eastern Division and Beat Cubs 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Series-Opening Shutout in Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Greene Sparks Whitecaps Rally in 5-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Loses Close Game 3-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Beat Beloit 3-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Shut out Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Big 6th Inning Lifts West Michigan to Comeback Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Williams-Sutton's Grand Slam Highlights Resounding TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Williams-Sutton Slams Lugnuts, 9-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Prospect Infielders Hiraldo and Jimenez Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chris Williams joins Kernels from Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lansing (Game 136) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Edwuin Bencomo transferred from Fort Wayne to High-A Lake Elsinore Storm - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Punch Their Ticket to the Postseason - South Bend Cubs
- Cubs Clinch Playoff Berth in 6-4 Victory over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- South Bend Cubs to Become Los Cabritos Maldichos for Select Games in 2020
- South Bend Cubs to Host 5th Annual Holiday Extravaganza December 7
- South Bend Cubs to Offer Championship Ticket Packages
- South Bend Cubs Host Fourth Annual Polar Plunge
- Championship Open House at Four Winds Field October 22