Series-Opening Shutout in Lake County
EASTLAKE, Ohio - On Saturday night, Zach Willeman was making his first start for the Loons since May 30th and turned in the best appearance of his professional career. Willeman and Edward Cuello combined to shutout the Captains and secure a 6-0 win.
Willeman (W, 4-7), a native Ohioan, tossed a career-high six innings and allowed just one hit. The right-hander tossed 87 pitches and walked four while also hitting a batter. Cuello (S, 3) logged the final three innings while conceding two hits on 40 pitches. It's the 10th time the Loons have shutout their opponent this season.
Offensively, the Loons used one big inning to get on the board (four runs in the second inning) and a Brandon Lewis bomb in the sixth inning to make things more comfortable. The fourth inning saw Lewis and Jair Camargo drive in a run and Sam McWilliams score two more on his fifth double of the last four days.
Alex Royalty (L, 6-9) allowed four runs in four innings as the starter for Lake County.
Game two of the final regular-season series of the year is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. EDT on Sunday from Classic Park. Stephen Kolek gets the ball for the Loons.
MWL PLAYOFFS COMING THURSDAY
Sept. 5, Game 2 vs. Lake County Captains
- Pregame tailgate party @ Larkin Beer Garden
- Rally towel giveaway
- $1 Family Feast Night presented by Chemical Bank
- Postgame fireworks
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Chicago Cubs Pitcher Derek Holland Expected to Pitch for South Bend Cubs on Rehab Assignment Sunday - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Blow out Bees, Remain Tied for First - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Claim Second-Half Eastern Division Title with 5-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Thump Chiefs in 7th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Clinch First Place in Eastern Division and Beat Cubs 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Series-Opening Shutout in Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Greene Sparks Whitecaps Rally in 5-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Loses Close Game 3-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Beat Beloit 3-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Shut out Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Big 6th Inning Lifts West Michigan to Comeback Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Williams-Sutton's Grand Slam Highlights Resounding TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Williams-Sutton Slams Lugnuts, 9-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Prospect Infielders Hiraldo and Jimenez Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chris Williams joins Kernels from Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lansing (Game 136) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Edwuin Bencomo transferred from Fort Wayne to High-A Lake Elsinore Storm - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Punch Their Ticket to the Postseason - South Bend Cubs
- Cubs Clinch Playoff Berth in 6-4 Victory over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.