Loons Shut out Picantes
(Eastlake, OH) - The Lake County Captains (33-35, 73-63), playing as the Picantes for the final time in 2019, were held scoreless on Saturday night in a preview of the opening round of the Midwest League Postseason. The Great Lakes Loons (38-30, 81-54), whom Lake County will face on Wednesday to open the best-of-three Eastern Division Semifinals, blanked the Picantes at Classic Park, 6-0, to begin a three-game series at Classic Park to end the regular season.
Click here for more information on the Picantes and Minor League Baseball's Copa de la Diversión program.
Loons starter Zach Willeman pitched six scoreless innings and only allowed one hit, which did not come until the fifth when Bo Naylor singled with two outs to break up the no-hitter. Willeman (4-7) struck out one, walked four and hit one batter, but kept Lake County off the scoreboard to earn the win. Reliever Edward Cuello pitched three scoreless frames and allowed two hits with one hit batsman, no walks and one strikeout to notch his third save.
Great Lakes opened the scoring with four runs in the second. The Loons loaded the bases with nobody out on a single by Justin Yurchak, a walk by Picantes starter Alex Royalty to Romer Cuadrado and a single by Matt Cogen. Brandon Lewis then bounced a ball to shortstop for a force out at second and Yurchak scored the game's first run. Later in the inning, an RBI fielder's choice by Jair Camargo scored Cuadrado and Sam McWilliams doubled home two more to give the Loons a 4-0 lead.
Lewis connected in the sixth inning to extend Great Lakes' lead to 6-0. Picantes reliever Tim Herrin walked Cogen with one out and Lewis followed with a drive over the left field wall for a two-run homer.
Royalty (6-9) took the loss for Lake County. The right-hander worked four innings and surrendered four runs on three hits. He struck out three, walked two and hit one batter.
Lake County has suffered back-to-back shutout losses for the first time since April 25-26, 2017. Saturday's loss extends Lake County's scoreless innings streak to 25.
The series between Great Lakes and Lake County continues on Sunday night with the penultimate game of the regular season. First pitch at Classic Park is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
Individual game tickets for all Captains games are on sale at the Classic Park box office, online at captainsbaseball.com and by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467). Mini ticket plans for the 2019 season are still available for great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Chicago Cubs Pitcher Derek Holland Expected to Pitch for South Bend Cubs on Rehab Assignment Sunday - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Blow out Bees, Remain Tied for First - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Claim Second-Half Eastern Division Title with 5-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Thump Chiefs in 7th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Clinch First Place in Eastern Division and Beat Cubs 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Series-Opening Shutout in Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Greene Sparks Whitecaps Rally in 5-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Loses Close Game 3-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Beat Beloit 3-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Shut out Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Big 6th Inning Lifts West Michigan to Comeback Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Williams-Sutton's Grand Slam Highlights Resounding TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Williams-Sutton Slams Lugnuts, 9-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Prospect Infielders Hiraldo and Jimenez Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chris Williams joins Kernels from Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lansing (Game 136) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Edwuin Bencomo transferred from Fort Wayne to High-A Lake Elsinore Storm - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Punch Their Ticket to the Postseason - South Bend Cubs
- Cubs Clinch Playoff Berth in 6-4 Victory over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake County Captains Stories
- Official Statement from the Captains Regarding Sunday's Trunk Or Treat Event and COVID-19
- NCAA DIII College World Series Coming to Eastlake in 2024
- Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC Will Begin August 22
- Captains Postpone Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC
- Captains, City of Eastlake Cancel July 22 Concert