TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lansing (Game 136)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (28-39, 61-74) vs. Lansing Lugnuts (66-70, 34-33)
RHP Carlos Guarate vs. RHP Troy Miller
Saturday, Aug. 31 - Parkview Field (Fort Wayne, Ind.) - First Pitch 7:05 PM (Game 136 / 138)
WATCH: John Nolan & Brett Rump (Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV)
LISTEN: Mike Maahs & Evan Stockton (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
LAST NIGHT: The TinCaps dropped the rubber match of their series with the Cubs, 6-4. Fort Wayne took a 1-0 lead in the first only to see South Bend spring ahead with a 3-run fourth and not look back. After the TinCaps trimmed the deficit to 3-2 in the fifth, the Cubs put up another 3-spot in the seventh. The 'Caps 1-run innings in the seventh and eighth weren't enough to rally.
ADD 'EM UP: With tonight's debut of Carlos Guarate, the TinCaps have featured 26 position players and 32 pitchers (58 total) this year. Last year's team used 55. The franchise record is 63 in 2016... Relievers Henry Henry and Jose Quezada are the only pitchers on the staff who've been on the active roster all season. Outfielder Agustin Ruiz is the only position players who's been active since Opening Day.
WALK & RUN: Center fielder Jawuan Harris is on a season-long 14-game on-base streak. Over the last 14 games, Harris is slashing .288/.393/.500 with 4 doubles, 2 triples, a homer, and 4 RBIs... For the season, he ranks 3rd in the MWL in stolen bases with 29. Harris also ranks 8th in walks (59).
MAKING HIS MARK: Infielder Tucupita Marcano had his third 4-hit game of the season Friday night. The performance included a double, a stolen base, 2 runs, and a walk... For the year, Marcano ranks 6th in the MWL in hits (123). He also has the 2nd lowest K% (9%) and 3rd highest contact % (96%). With 34 walks against only 45 strikeouts, his BB/K ratio (0.76) ranks 6th.
HOT CURRY: Left fielder/DH Michael Curry has been one of the best hitters in the league since Memorial Day Weekend. Over his last 72 games, Curry's .869 OPS ranks 4th in the MWL. His .308 AVG ranks 2nd, .401 OBP is 3rd, and .468 SLG is 5th.
ALL DAY DWANYA: Outfielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton crushed 2 home runs to left in a 4-RBI game Thursday night. He has 3 homers over his last 8. Meanwhile, for the year, he leads the MWL in OBP (.410)... He also leads the league in HBP (30), setting a single-season franchise record. That includes being hit by 4 pitches in a game against Cedar Rapids on July 22 (which tied a MiLB record; it's never happened before in a MLB game). The previous franchise record for HBP in a season was 23. (The MWL record is 38, set by Lansing's Nick Sinay in 2017. He was released the following spring training.)... Williams-Sutton ranks 3rd in the MWL in BB% (14%)... His wRC+ of 138 leads active players in the MWL.
JUSTIN-FORMATION: Over his last 35 games since July 21, infielder Justin Lopez has slashed .287/.336/.441 (.777 OPS) with 9 doubles, 4 homers, and 21 RBIs... Lopez, 19, leads the team in home runs and is 1 of only 3 teens in the MWL with 12 homers this year. The others are Lansing's Gabriel Moreno (No. 9 Toronto prospect) and Burlington's Kevin Maitan (No. 23 for the Angels).
TOUTING "TITO": Outfielder Agustin Ruiz, 19, leads the team in doubles (24) and RBIs (55).
GO-TO GUYS: Reliever Jose Quezada leads the MWL in appearances (47). Henry Henry is tied for 3rd in appearances (42) and 5th in saves (10).
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have issued the fewest walks in the MWL this season, averaging just 3.0 per 9 innings. Fort Wayne also has the best ratio of strikeouts to walks (3.07).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Chicago Cubs Pitcher Derek Holland Expected to Pitch for South Bend Cubs on Rehab Assignment Sunday - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Blow out Bees, Remain Tied for First - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Claim Second-Half Eastern Division Title with 5-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Thump Chiefs in 7th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Clinch First Place in Eastern Division and Beat Cubs 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Series-Opening Shutout in Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Greene Sparks Whitecaps Rally in 5-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Loses Close Game 3-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Beat Beloit 3-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Shut out Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Big 6th Inning Lifts West Michigan to Comeback Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Williams-Sutton's Grand Slam Highlights Resounding TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Williams-Sutton Slams Lugnuts, 9-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Prospect Infielders Hiraldo and Jimenez Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chris Williams joins Kernels from Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lansing (Game 136) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Edwuin Bencomo transferred from Fort Wayne to High-A Lake Elsinore Storm - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Punch Their Ticket to the Postseason - South Bend Cubs
- Cubs Clinch Playoff Berth in 6-4 Victory over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Renfroe Representing TinCaps in 2020 World Series
- TinCaps Virtual Beer Tasting on Tap
- Weathers 1 of 23 Fort Wayne Alums in MLB Postseason
- TinCaps to Host a Second Movie Night (The Sandlot) Presented by Lancia Homes
- 260 to the Show Report: 46 Former Fort Wayne Players in Big Leagues in 2020