Dragons Notes for Saturday
Saturday, August 31, 2019 l Game # 68 (138)
Fifth Third Field l Dayton, Ohio l 7:09 p.m.
TV: Dayton's CW (26) l Radio: Fox Sports 980 WONE
West Michigan Whitecaps (26-41, 47-89) at Dayton Dragons (29-38, 57-80)
RH Sandel De La Cruz (3-4, 3.81) vs. RH Jordan Johnson (0-1, 54.00)
Today's Game : The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the West Michigan Whitecaps (affiliate of the Detroit Tigers) in the first game of a three-game series. This is the final series of the 2019 season.
2019 Season Series : Dragons 6, Whitecaps 4 (at Dayton: Dragons 2, Whitecaps 1).
Last Game : Friday: Dayton 4, Great Lakes 3. Dragons starting pitcher Randy Wynne notched 12 strikeouts over 7.2 innings, most by a Dayton pitcher since Franderlin Romero in 2016. Wynne did not walk a batter and earned the win in his first start and third appearance with the Dragons. Reliever Jerry D'Andrea struck out all four batters he faced for the save. Michael Siani had three hits including a two-run double for the Dragons. Cameron Warren and Juan Martinez also had three hits. The Dragons won two-of-three in the series in Midland. It was their fourth road series win of the year and their first since July 17-19 at Quad Cities (two-of-three).
Michael Siani leads the Midwest League in stolen bases with 42. Two players in Dragons history have led the league in steals. They are Billy Hamilton (2011) and Jose Siri (2017). Siani over his last 13 games is batting .358 with one home run. Miguel Hernandez over his last 14 games is batting .375 with one home run, six doubles and a triple. He is batting .321 in August (26 G). Morgan Lofstrom over his last 15 games is batting .340 with one home run. He is batting .333 in August (17 G). Juan Martinez over his last 14 games is batting .327 with two home runs. Cameron Warren is batting .340 over his last 11 games and has hit safely in four straight games. Adrian Rodriguez in the month of August has posted an ERA of 1.48 in six games (five starts) (30.1 IP, 5 ER). His ERA ranks second in the MWL and first in the Reds organization for the month among qualified pitchers. Connor Curlis in the month of August has posted an ERA of 2.05 in five games (four starts) (26.1 IP, 6 ER). Clate Schmidt in the month of August has posted an ERA of 2.08 in eight games (three starts) (26 IP, 6 ER). Matt Pidich over his last 30 games: 1.40 ERA, 51.1 IP, 30 H, 16 R, 8 ER, 14 BB, 57 SO. Eddy Demurias over his last seven games: 1.54 ERA, 11.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 8 SO.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (Game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com )
Sunday, Sept. 1 (2:09 p.m.): West Michigan RH Robbie Welhaf (4-7, 2.88) at Dayton RH Eduardo Salazar (6-3, 4.00)
Monday, Sept. 2 (2:00 p.m.): West Michigan LH Robert Klinchock (0-1, 4.50) at Dayton RH Clate Schmidt (2-1, 2.41)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Chicago Cubs Pitcher Derek Holland Expected to Pitch for South Bend Cubs on Rehab Assignment Sunday - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Blow out Bees, Remain Tied for First - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Claim Second-Half Eastern Division Title with 5-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Thump Chiefs in 7th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Clinch First Place in Eastern Division and Beat Cubs 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Series-Opening Shutout in Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Greene Sparks Whitecaps Rally in 5-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Loses Close Game 3-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Beat Beloit 3-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Shut out Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Big 6th Inning Lifts West Michigan to Comeback Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Williams-Sutton's Grand Slam Highlights Resounding TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Williams-Sutton Slams Lugnuts, 9-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Prospect Infielders Hiraldo and Jimenez Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chris Williams joins Kernels from Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lansing (Game 136) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Edwuin Bencomo transferred from Fort Wayne to High-A Lake Elsinore Storm - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Punch Their Ticket to the Postseason - South Bend Cubs
- Cubs Clinch Playoff Berth in 6-4 Victory over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons to Conduct Auditions for Green Team, Mascot Performers, On-Field Hosts on November 2
- Dragons 2019 Attendance Ranks #9 Among 160 MiLB Teams
- Dragons President Robert Murphy Selected as Ballpark Digest Baseball Executive of the Year
- Dayton Dragons 2019 Season in Review
- Dragons Notch Walk-Off Win in Season Finale