Big 6th Inning Lifts West Michigan to Comeback Win over Dragons
Dayton, Ohio - The West Michigan Whitecaps overcame a 4-0 deficit with five runs in the sixth inning on the way to a 5-4 victory over the Dayton Dragons on Saturday night. The contest was the final night game of the season for the Dragons. They will host West Michigan at 2:00 on Sunday and at the same time on Monday to close out the season.
The Dragons scored three runs in the first inning and another run in the fifth to build their 4-0 lead, only to see the Whitecaps take advantage of three walks, two errors, and a hit batsman in the sixth to score five runs.
In the first, Dayton's Claudio Finol blasted a two-run home run to give the Dragons the early lead. They added another run later in the same inning when Morgan Lofstrom doubled, went to third on an error, and scored on a double play ball to make it 3-0.
In the fifth, Michael Siani manufactured a Dayton run when he reached on a bunt single, stole second, went third on an error, and scored a dropped third strike that went to the backstop to make it 4-0.
But West Michigan had a big inning against Dragons reliever Connor Curlis (4-6) in the sixth. Curlis hit the lead-off batter, walked the next two to load the bases, and surrendered a three-run triple to Riley Greene to make it 4-3. Greene eventually scored the tying run on an error, and West Michigan broke the tie in the game inning on Zach Malis' two-out run-scoring single to bring in a runner from second.
The Dragons threatened to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth when Siani walked with two outs, stole second, and went to third on an error. But pinch hitter Matt Lloyd struck out to end the game.
The Dragons finished with nine hits including two each by Siani, Finol, and Juan Martinez.
Dragons starting pitcher Jordan Johnson, making his second appearance with the club as he returns from a shoulder injury, was outstanding, tossing four and two-thirds scoreless innings. He allowed three hits with no walks and three strikeouts.
Up Next: The Dragons (29-39, 57-81) battle the Whitecaps (27-41, 48-89) in the second game of the series on Sunday at 2:05 p.m. Eduardo Salazar (6-3, 4.00) will start for the Dragons while West Michigan will counter with Robbie Welhaf (4-7, 2.88). The series and season will conclude on Monday at 2:00 p.m. Sunday's game will be televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
For Dragons ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
On the Air: All Dragons home and road games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2. All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Chicago Cubs Pitcher Derek Holland Expected to Pitch for South Bend Cubs on Rehab Assignment Sunday - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Blow out Bees, Remain Tied for First - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Claim Second-Half Eastern Division Title with 5-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Thump Chiefs in 7th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Clinch First Place in Eastern Division and Beat Cubs 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Series-Opening Shutout in Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Greene Sparks Whitecaps Rally in 5-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Loses Close Game 3-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Beat Beloit 3-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Shut out Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Big 6th Inning Lifts West Michigan to Comeback Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Williams-Sutton's Grand Slam Highlights Resounding TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Williams-Sutton Slams Lugnuts, 9-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Prospect Infielders Hiraldo and Jimenez Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chris Williams joins Kernels from Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lansing (Game 136) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Edwuin Bencomo transferred from Fort Wayne to High-A Lake Elsinore Storm - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Punch Their Ticket to the Postseason - South Bend Cubs
- Cubs Clinch Playoff Berth in 6-4 Victory over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons Special 50/50 Raffle to Benefit COVID-19 Response Fund & African-American Community Fund
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Season Is Cancelled
- Dayton Dragons Issue Statement Regarding Governor's Order
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 3: Second Basemen
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 2: First Basemen