Cubs Clinch Playoff Berth in 6-4 Victory over TinCaps
Fort Wayne, IN: Playoff baseball will be returning to Four Winds Field for the first time since 2016. In a 6-4 win over the Fort Wayne TinCaps to close out their three game series, the South Bend Cubs punched their ticket to the postseason thanks to a strong performance on the field and some help from the West Michigan Whitecaps. Since West Michigan beat Lansing, the Lugnuts were eliminated from playoff contention.
Now with a playoff spot clinched, the Cubs will return home to South Bend tomorrow night to begin a new series against the Bowling Green Hot Rods. Bowling Green will face South Bend in round one of the playoffs, but it is still to be determined of who will be crowned the Eastern Division Champion. In order to win the division, South Bend must sweep Bowling Green.
Friday night's win was jump started by another strong pitching performance from Cam Sanders. After allowing an early run in the bottom of the 1st inning, Sanders settled in and cruised through five innings with just the lone run allowed and three strikeouts. He picked up his eighth win this season and lowered his ERA to 2.94.
South Bend put their starter in line for the win with a strong rally in the top of the 4th inning against Ryan Weathers. Weathers, the first round pick of San Diego in 2018, was on his game through the first three innings. However, the Cubs smacked five hits in the 4th inning alone and scored three runs.
Both Nelson Velazquez and Marcus Mastrobuoni continued his strong performances in the series and drove in runs in the frame. Velazquez knocked in six runs in the three-game series and Mastrobuoni had four.
Already with the lead, the Cubs truly broke the game open when Nelson Maldonado picked up South Bend's most clutch hit of the night in the top of the 7th. Down two strikes, Maldonado ripped a triple down the right field line and cleared the bases to make it a 6-2 game.
Out of the bullpen, Brandon Hughes, Sean Barry, Brian Glowicki, and Ivan Medina all worked one inning each to close out the win. The Cubs are now 74-60 on the season and will get ready for their final regular season series this year. First pitch from Four Winds Field Saturday night is set for 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Chicago Cubs Pitcher Derek Holland Expected to Pitch for South Bend Cubs on Rehab Assignment Sunday - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Blow out Bees, Remain Tied for First - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Claim Second-Half Eastern Division Title with 5-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Thump Chiefs in 7th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Clinch First Place in Eastern Division and Beat Cubs 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Series-Opening Shutout in Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Greene Sparks Whitecaps Rally in 5-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Loses Close Game 3-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Beat Beloit 3-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Shut out Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Big 6th Inning Lifts West Michigan to Comeback Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Williams-Sutton's Grand Slam Highlights Resounding TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Williams-Sutton Slams Lugnuts, 9-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Prospect Infielders Hiraldo and Jimenez Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chris Williams joins Kernels from Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lansing (Game 136) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Edwuin Bencomo transferred from Fort Wayne to High-A Lake Elsinore Storm - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Punch Their Ticket to the Postseason - South Bend Cubs
- Cubs Clinch Playoff Berth in 6-4 Victory over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- FAQ: Stu & Swoop's Cops and Goblins on October 26
- Cops & Goblins Tickets Available at Cubs Den Saturday
- South Bend Cubs Host VIP Football Watch Party October 10
- Video Board Message Donations Return for Breast Cancer Awareness MonthÃÂ
- Cubs Host Final Movie Night and Fireworks Show for Charity