LumberKings Thump Chiefs in 7th Straight Win
CLINTON, IA - Peyton Burdick fell a double shy of the cycle in a Clinton LumberKings 10-5 win over the Peoria Chiefs on Saturday night at NelsonCorp Field. The Clinton (44-24, 77-60) win is their seventh straight and their 12th straight against the Chiefs (23-45, 53-84).
Clinton built their lead early by scoring in bunches against Chiefs starter Mike Brettell. In the bottom of the first, the LumberKings platted the game's first three runs. Peyton Burdick initiated the scoring with a two-run homer to left - his 10th of the year - and the rally was capped on an Evan Edwards RBI single.
Two innings later, the LumberKings rallied for four runs for their largest rally of the night. Nine batters came up in the inning with RBIs coming from Kameron Misner, J.D. Osborne, and Bubba Hollins.
In the bottom of the fourth, Clinton added to their lead with their final rally of the night. They scored three runs with the first run coming on an RBI triple by Peyton Burdick. Kameron Misner then singled home Burdick and eventually scored on an Osborne sacrifice fly.
Burdick led the way at the plate. Ending his night going 4-for-5 with a home run, three runs scored, a home run, a triple, and three RBIs.
Josh Roberson (4-4) turned in a five-inning performance to earn his fourth win of the year. He allowed just four hits, all singles, while walking none and striking out three.
All of the Chiefs runs came late with a three-run rally in the seventh, and single runs in the eighth and ninth innings.
The late offense was not enough to rescue Brettell (5-10), who was hung with the loss for a 3.1 inning outing. He allowed 10 runs on 14 hits while walking one and striking out one.
The win matches the LumberKings longest winning streak of the year, seven games, and lowers their magic number to win the Western Division to just two.
The LumberKings will meet the Peoria Chiefs for the penultimate game of the regular season on Sunday afternoon. Clinton will throw righty Tanner Andrews (8-4, 3.62) while Peoria will tap righty Logan Gragg (0-3, 3.94). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (CDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
See Jewel-Osco for a special offer on tickets for a Sunday matinee with the Peoria Chiefs as part of Jewel-Osco day at the ballpark!
Sunday home games fans can see the LumberKings rebrand to the Clinton Elotes. The LumberKings will wear special Elotes jerseys and hats that are available for purchase at the LumberYard team store at NelsonCorp Field.
In addition, all Sundays are "Family Funday Sundays." Bring the whole family and take part in free face painting, balloon artists, and postgame kids run the bases courtesy of the Children's Discovery Center.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Chicago Cubs Pitcher Derek Holland Expected to Pitch for South Bend Cubs on Rehab Assignment Sunday - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Blow out Bees, Remain Tied for First - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Claim Second-Half Eastern Division Title with 5-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Thump Chiefs in 7th Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Clinch First Place in Eastern Division and Beat Cubs 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Series-Opening Shutout in Lake County - Great Lakes Loons
- Greene Sparks Whitecaps Rally in 5-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Loses Close Game 3-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Beat Beloit 3-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Shut out Picantes - Lake County Captains
- Big 6th Inning Lifts West Michigan to Comeback Win over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Williams-Sutton's Grand Slam Highlights Resounding TinCaps Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Williams-Sutton Slams Lugnuts, 9-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Prospect Infielders Hiraldo and Jimenez Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chris Williams joins Kernels from Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 31 vs. Lansing (Game 136) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Edwuin Bencomo transferred from Fort Wayne to High-A Lake Elsinore Storm - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- South Bend Cubs Punch Their Ticket to the Postseason - South Bend Cubs
- Cubs Clinch Playoff Berth in 6-4 Victory over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.