Wild Come up Short in Chicago, 2-0
CHICAGO, Ill. - Iowa Wild (9-6-1-0; 19 pts.) fell to the Chicago Wolves (12-4-1-1; 26 pts.) by a score of 2-0. Iowa forward Alex Khovanov made his AHL debut in the loss. Wolves goaltender Alex Lyon stopped all 30 Iowa shots to record a shutout.
Chicago defenseman Jesper Sellgren opened the scoring at 1:57 of the first period as he sent a point shot off of Wild goaltender Dereck Baribeau (35 saves) and in. His goal gave the Wolves a 1-0 lead.
At the end of the first period, the Wolves led 1-0 over the Wild. Chicago outshot Iowa 15-1 in the period.
Following a scoreless second period, Chicago headed into the third period with a 1-0 lead. The Wild outshot the Wolves 13-7 in the second stanza but trailed 22-14 in total shots.
Wolves forward Sam Miletic surged through center ice and into Wild territory on a breakaway and slid a shot five-hole past Baribeau to give Chicago a 2-0 lead at 1:18 of the third period.
Iowa pulled Baribeau with 2:03 remaining in the third period after a Wolves penalty to give the Wild a six on four advantage. However, Iowa failed to score and fell to the Wolves, 2-0.
At the conclusion of the game, the Wolves led 37-30 in shots. The Wild outshot the Wolves 16-15 in the third period. Iowa and Chicago both failed to score on the power play as the Wild went 0-for-5 and the Wolves went 0-for-4.
The Wild play Chicago again at Wells Fargo Arena on Saturday, Dec. 4, 2021. Faceoff is set for 6 p.m. CT.
Iowa Wild hockey is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center. For more information, please visit www.iowawild.com. Fans can purchase single-game tickets through the team's website at www.iowawild.com. Group tickets (10 or more), suites, Wild 365 memberships or premium tickets can be purchased by contacting the Iowa Wild Ticket Department at 515-564-8700 or email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2021
- Griffins Drop First Loss of Season against Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Beat Buzzer to Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Texas Stars
- Posts But No Cigar - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Schwindt Lights Lamp Late to Lift Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Stay Hot Behind Delia and Kurashev in 4-1 Win at Grand Rapids - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Stumble in 4-1 Loss to Admirals - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals Scare off Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- MacDonald Recalled to Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- 5 Things - Heat vs. San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Saturday's Penguins Game Postponed - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Minnesota Recalls Czuczman, Reassigns Addison to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Belleville Sens Announce Promotional Ticket Packages - Belleville Senators
- Reign's Wagner Suspended for One Game - AHL
- Abbotsford Canucks vs San Jose Barracuda Preview - Abbotsford Canucks
- AHL Postpones Saturday's Road Game in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Charlotte Checkers
- Syracuse Crunch, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Postpones Two W-B/Scranton Penguins Games - Charlotte Checkers
- Coyotes Recall Fasching from Tucson Roadrunners - Tucson Roadrunners
- American Hockey League Postpones Two W-B/Scranton Penguins Games - AHL
- Heat Host Gulls Friday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Bunnaman, Willman Recalled; Master Released - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Panthers Send Olli Juolevi to Charlotte on Conditioning Stint - Charlotte Checkers
- Game #15: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Tommy Nappier Recalled by Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceHogs Look to Continue Climb up Central Division Standings with Showdown at Grand Rapids Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Come up Short in Chicago, 2-0 - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Iowa Wild Signs Goaltender C.J. Motte to a One-Year AHL Contract
- Minnesota Wild Signs Goaltender Jesper Wallstedt to a Three-Year, Entry-Level Contract
- Iowa Wild Defenseman Dakota Mermis Selected as Winner of Yanick Dupré Memorial Award
- Iowa Drops Season Finale to Rockford, 6-1
- Rau's Record-Breaking Performance Leads Wild to 5-3 Victory over IceHogs