Schwindt Lights Lamp Late to Lift Checkers
ALLENTOWN, PA - The Checkers pushed themselves back into the win column Friday night in Lehigh Valley, upending the Phantoms 5-3.
The back-and-forth contest ended in thrilling fashion, as Cole Schwindt fought through traffic and redirected a Connor Carrick shot into the back of the net to push the visitors on top with five minutes left on the clock. The Phantoms couldn't muster a response from there, as netminder Evan Fitzpatrick and the Checkers shut things down and rode out a key Atlantic Division victory.
The Checkers found themselves in a rare situation for them this season - trailing after 20 minutes of play. The offense ramped up as the contest progressed, however, reversing their recent trend.
Logan Hutsko and Henry Bowlby lit the lamp in the middle frame to deadlock things going into the second intermission, and then Cale Fleury launched a seeing-eye shot from the point to tie things once again early on in the third, setting the stage for Schwindt's late heroics.
Fitzpatrick, in his Checkers debut, stood up to the Phantoms attack and turned in 25 saves to claim the win.
Tonight was Zac Dalpe's 400th AHL game ... The win snapped a two-game road losing streak and a two-game losing streak overall for the Checkers ... Tonight was the fourth time this season the Checkers scored at least five goals and the first since Nov. 14 at Hershey ... The Checkers are now 3-1-0 this season against the Phantoms ... The Checkers went perfect on the penalty kill for the second straight game ... Cole Schwindt has scored a goal in two consecutive games and now holds sole possession of the team goal lead ... Tonight was Evan Fitzpatrick's first game as a Checker ... Tonight was the first Checkers game to feature a goalie other than Christopher Gibson and Joey Daccord since Nov. 7 ... Olli Juolevi picked up his first point with the Checkers in his second game of the season at any level ... Ryan Lohin made his Checkers debut tonight ... Connor Carrick recorded his second multi-assist game of the season and has points in each of his last two games ... Alexander True, Zac Dalpe and Carsen Twarynski all recorded points for the second straight game ... Liam Pecararo, Max McCormick, Frank Hora and Christopher Gibson all served as healthy extras ... John Ludvig missed the game due to injury
The Checkers' game originally slated for tomorrow in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has been postponed due to COVID-19 protocols affecting the Penguins, so Charlotte will take a day off before a Sunday matchup against the Bridgeport Islanders.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2021
- Griffins Drop First Loss of Season against Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Beat Buzzer to Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Texas Stars
- Posts But No Cigar - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Schwindt Lights Lamp Late to Lift Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Stay Hot Behind Delia and Kurashev in 4-1 Win at Grand Rapids - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Stumble in 4-1 Loss to Admirals - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals Scare off Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- MacDonald Recalled to Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- 5 Things - Heat vs. San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Saturday's Penguins Game Postponed - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Minnesota Recalls Czuczman, Reassigns Addison to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Belleville Sens Announce Promotional Ticket Packages - Belleville Senators
- Reign's Wagner Suspended for One Game - AHL
- Abbotsford Canucks vs San Jose Barracuda Preview - Abbotsford Canucks
- AHL Postpones Saturday's Road Game in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Charlotte Checkers
- Syracuse Crunch, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Postpones Two W-B/Scranton Penguins Games - Charlotte Checkers
- Coyotes Recall Fasching from Tucson Roadrunners - Tucson Roadrunners
- American Hockey League Postpones Two W-B/Scranton Penguins Games - AHL
- Heat Host Gulls Friday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Bunnaman, Willman Recalled; Master Released - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Panthers Send Olli Juolevi to Charlotte on Conditioning Stint - Charlotte Checkers
- Game #15: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Tommy Nappier Recalled by Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceHogs Look to Continue Climb up Central Division Standings with Showdown at Grand Rapids Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Come up Short in Chicago, 2-0 - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.