Stars Beat Buzzer to Earn a Point in Overtime Loss
LAVAL, QC, Canada - The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, needed a late goal from Anthony Louis with seven seconds left in regulation to force overtime, but the Laval Rocket topped the Stars 4-3 in the overtime period Friday at Place Bell.
The Rocket scored early when Cameron Hillis deflected a shot past Adam Scheel in the slot just 2:19 into the game. The Stars killed off three separate penalties during the period, before Ben Gleason tied the game late with a power play goal for Texas. Gleason held the zone at the point and skated into the right circle, before sniping a shot past Cayden Primaeu, tying the game at 1-1.
Laval took the lead back in the second period, when their first two shots were stopped by Scheel during a sequence at the Stars net, but Kevin Roy lifted the third chance over Scheel's pad. Anthony Louis, who was left alone in the slot during a corner battle on the next Texas power play, tied the game again when Curtis McKenzie fed him the puck and he fired the shot past Primeau. Late in the second, the Rocket took their third lead on their fifth power play opportunity. Jean-Sebastion Dea picked off a Texas clearing attempt and snapped a shot underneath the crossbar to make it 3-2 Laval after two.
Primeau kept his team in front through most of the third period, as the Stars outshot the Rocket 13-3. However, with just seven seconds left in the third, Riley Damiani was stopped by Primeau and Louis buried the rebound under the crossbar to even the score and force overtime.
Brandon Gignac skated up the right wing and fired the game-winning shot over Scheel with 1:32 left in overtime, giving the Rocket the 4-3 win.
Texas now returns home for 11 consecutive games at H-E-B Center at Cedar Park, starting Dec. 9, 11 and 12 against the Chicago Wolves.
3 Stars (Xerox Business Solutions Southwest)
1: Louie Belpedio (LAV)
2: Anthony Louis (TEX)
3: Brandon Gignac (LAV)
Images from this story
Texas Stars defenseman Thomas Harley (left) vs. the Laval Rocket
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2021
- Griffins Drop First Loss of Season against Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Beat Buzzer to Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Texas Stars
- Posts But No Cigar - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Schwindt Lights Lamp Late to Lift Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- IceHogs Stay Hot Behind Delia and Kurashev in 4-1 Win at Grand Rapids - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Stumble in 4-1 Loss to Admirals - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals Scare off Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- MacDonald Recalled to Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- 5 Things - Heat vs. San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Saturday's Penguins Game Postponed - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Minnesota Recalls Czuczman, Reassigns Addison to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Belleville Sens Announce Promotional Ticket Packages - Belleville Senators
- Reign's Wagner Suspended for One Game - AHL
- Abbotsford Canucks vs San Jose Barracuda Preview - Abbotsford Canucks
- AHL Postpones Saturday's Road Game in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Charlotte Checkers
- Syracuse Crunch, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Game Postponed - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Postpones Two W-B/Scranton Penguins Games - Charlotte Checkers
- Coyotes Recall Fasching from Tucson Roadrunners - Tucson Roadrunners
- American Hockey League Postpones Two W-B/Scranton Penguins Games - AHL
- Heat Host Gulls Friday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Bunnaman, Willman Recalled; Master Released - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Panthers Send Olli Juolevi to Charlotte on Conditioning Stint - Charlotte Checkers
- Game #15: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Tommy Nappier Recalled by Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceHogs Look to Continue Climb up Central Division Standings with Showdown at Grand Rapids Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Wild Come up Short in Chicago, 2-0 - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Stars Stories
- Stars Top Checkers 6-5 in Sunday's Matinee
- Stars Drop Opener of Six-Game Road Trip in Charlotte
- Dallas Stars Reassign Defenseman Thomas Harley to Taxi Squad
- Dallas Stars Reassign Forward Riley Damiani to Taxi Squad
- Dallas Stars Recall Anton Khudobin and Rhett Gardner from Texas