Walleye Secure Home Ice
Overall Record: 38-21-6-3, 2nd Central Division
Current Streak: 1 Win
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS
March 29 vs. Kansas City (4-1 Win)
March 30 vs. Kalamazoo (3-0 Loss)
March 31 vs. Cincinnati (2-1 OT Win)
THIS WEEK'S GAMES (All Times Eastern)
April 3 at Cincinnati at 7:35 p.m. (7:20 p.m., Fox Sports Radio 1230)
April 5 at Wheeling at 7 p.m. (6:45 p.m., Fox Sports Radio 1230)
April 6 vs. Brampton at 7:15 p.m. (7 p.m., Fox Sports Radio 1230, BCSN)
April 7 at Brampton at 4:00 p.m. (3:45 p.m., Fox Sports Radio 1230)
WALLEYE WEEKLY SCHEDULE
Monday, April 1 - No Practice
Tuesday, April 2 - Practice 10:30 a.m. at Huntington Center
Wednesday, April 3 - Game at Cincinnati at 7:35 p.m.
Thursday, April 4 - No Practice
Friday, April 5 - Game at Wheeling at 7 p.m.
Saturday, April 6 - Game vs. Brampton at 7:15 p.m.
Sunday, April 7 - Game at Brampton at 4 p.m.
Two win week secures second spot in division: By securing wins on Friday and Sunday this past week, the Walleye locked themselves into the second spot in the Central Division which means that they will open the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs on home ice. Shane Berschbach posted a three point night (2G, 1A) in Friday's 4-1 win over Kansas City. Rookie goaltender Trevor Gorsuch was the story Sunday as he stopped 35 of Cincinnati's 36 shots to lead the Walleye to a 2-1 overtime win. The last time the Walleye had a rookie goaltender win his pro debut for Toledo was Jordan Ruby, a 6-3 win at Kalamazoo on April 3, 2015.
Attendance Records Set: Toledo continues to set new attendance records including this past weekend when they set a new record for most sellouts in a single season reaching 30 on Sunday. That bested the old mark of 28 set last season. Currently the Walleye have posted standing room only crowds in a record 15 straight contests, a string that dates back to February 1 against Tulsa.
Players of March: Toledo finished the month of March with a 7-7-1 record. Dylan Sadowy dominated the month with 17 points (9G, 8A) over the 15 games. Goaltender Pat Nagle went 5-5-0 in the month but did post his best monthly numbers of the season with a 2.32 goals against average and .929 save percentage.
Rookies rule: Forward Abbott Girduckis scored a goal and added in an assist in his first pro game on Friday and the former R.I.T. Tiger scored the game-tying goal at 11:50 of the third period on Sunday. Former Western Michigan Bronco Trevor Gorsuch stopped 30 of the 31 shots he faced in the first two periods Sunday to allow the Walleye to come back and win that game in overtime. Defenseman Randy Gazzola played all three games this past weekend and the University of New Brunswick product collected one assist.
Four games, four cities in five days: The Walleye finish their 2018-19 with a four in five starting Wednesday night at Cincinnati. The Walleye have a chance to finish above .500 against their Ohio rivals as they are 4-4-0 this season. Friday, the Walleye will head to Wheeling to take on the Nailers. Toledo is 3-0-0 this year at Wheeling. Saturday and Sunday feature a home at home with the Brampton Beast. The Walleye have lost the last two to the Beast by a combined score of 6-1 (4-1 and 2-0).
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Shane Berschbach (2 goals - 2 assists = 4 points)
GOALTENDER OF THE WEEK
Pat Nagle (1-1-0, 1.51 GAA, .957 save %)
Our Fish. Our Fight
The Walleye secured home ice for the first round of the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs. Who they will face is still being determined. Regardless of the opponent, the first two Walleye playoff games will be on April 12 and April 13.
IF TOLEDO PLAYS KALAMAZOO
Game 1: Friday, April 12 @ 7:35 p.m. | Kalamazoo @ Toledo (GAME A)
Game 2: Saturday, April 13 @ 7:35 p.m. | Kalamazoo @ Toledo (GAME B)
Game 3: Wednesday, April 17 @ 7:30 p.m. | Toledo @ Kalamazoo
Game 4: Friday, April 19 @ 7:30 p.m. | Toledo @ Kalamazoo
Game 5: Saturday, April 20 @ 7 p.m. | Toledo @ Kalamazoo
Game 6: Tuesday, April 23 @ 7:35 p.m. | Kalamazoo @ Toledo (GAME C)
Game 7: Wednesday, April 24 @ 7:35 p.m. | Kalamazoo @ Toledo (GAME D)
IF TOLEDO PLAYS FORT WAYNE:
Game 1: Friday, April 12 @ 7:35 p.m. | Fort Wayne @ Toledo (GAME A)
Game 2: Saturday, April 13 @ 7:35 p.m. | Fort Wayne @ Toledo (GAME B)
Game 3: Wednesday, April 17 @ 7:35 p.m. | Toledo @ Fort Wayne
Game 4: Friday, April 19 @ 8:05 p.m. | Toledo @ Fort Wayne
Game 5: Saturday, April 20 @ 7:35 p.m. | Fort Wayne @ Toledo (GAME C)
Game 6: Tuesday, April 23 @ 7:35 p.m. | Toledo @ Fort Wayne
Game 7: Wednesday, April 24 @ 7:35 p.m. | Fort Wayne @ Toledo (GAME D)
Tickets for the final game of the regular season and 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs by calling 419-725-9255 or online at www.toledowalleye.com/playoffs.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 1, 2019
- Mariners Weekly: Win Or Don't Get In - Maine Mariners
- Grizzlies Announce 2019 Playoff Dates - Utah Grizzlies
- 'Blades Weekly: Regular Season Closes with Pair of Rivalry Tilts - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Weekly, April 1st - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers First Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Tulsa Oilers
- ECHL Transactions - April 1 - ECHL
- Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly - April 1, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Jeremy Helvig Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Florida Everblades
- Florida's Helvig Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Stingrays Weekly Report - April 1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Penguins Recall Cedric Lacroix - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Secure Home Ice - Toledo Walleye
- Culkin Reassigned to Maine - Maine Mariners
- Indy's Thompson Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 25 (March 25-31, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Komets Eye Playoff Berth; Final Week Features Four Games - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads First Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Idaho Steelheads
- Grubauer Is the MeiGray Group/ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Grubauer Is the MeiGray Group/ECHL Alumnus of the Month - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals enter final week of season on five-game point streak - Reading Royals
- Lightning Reassign Alexei Lipanov to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Monday: KC Looks to Build on Momentum Towards Postseason - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - April 1 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.