Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - April 1
Tulsa seeks first division title since 1976 and clinches home-ice advantage for team's first round playoff series.
OVERALL RECORD: 40-22-6 (86 points, 1st in Mountain Division)
LAST WEEK: 2-1-0
Friday, Mar. 29 - Wichita 3, Tulsa 1 (INTRUST Bank Arena - Wichita, KS) | Box Score
>> The Tulsa Oilers returned to Wichita for the final time this season and suffered their first loss against the Thunder in six meetings at INTRUST Bank Arena. The Thunder scored twice late in the first period and added a power play goal midway through the third frame. Scott Henegar spoiled Stuart Skinner's shutout bid with 1:54 left in the game to put Tulsa on the board, but Wichita snapped the Oilers' four-game winning streak 3-1. It was Devin Williams' first loss since Jan. 5, snapping his seven-game winning streak.
Saturday, Mar. 30 - Tulsa 2, Utah 1 (SO) (BOK Center - Tulsa, OK) | Box Score
>> The ECHL's biggest crowd of the season, 13,517 people, welcomed the Oilers home from a four-week stretch away from the BOK Center on Tulsa's fourth-annual Alzheimer's Awareness Night Saturday. Roman Ammirato put the Oilers on the board in the final minute of the opening frame, but Utah tied the score 1:03 into the middle stanza. After a scoreless third period and overtime, the game went to a shootout. Adam Phillips and Dylan Bredo scored in the first two rounds against Utah's Joe Cannata, who stopped 47 of 48 prior shots, and Devin Williams stopped the Grizzlies shooters in the first and third rounds to seal Tulsa's first shootout win in 840 days, a stretch of 13 straight shootout losses dating back to December 10, 2016.
Sunday, Mar. 31 - Tulsa 6, Utah 0 (BOK Center - Tulsa, OK) | Box Score
>> With an opportunity to clinch home ice in the first round of the Kelly Cup Playoffs, the short-handed Tulsa Oilers convincingly defeated the Utah Grizzlies 6-0 Sunday to move into first place in the Mountain Division standing entering the final week of the season. Chris Forney scored a power play goal 2:46 into the game and Mike McKee added a goal 1:03 later to give the Oilers an early 2-0 lead. Roman Ammirato scored another power play goal in the second period to make it 3-0 before the end of the second period. Adam Pleskach scored one minute into the third and Adam Phillips expanded the lead to 5-0 at 5:51 of the frame, before McKee scored his second of the game 13 seconds later. Ian Keserich posted a 22-save shutout to help Tulsa take the season series with the Grizzlies four games to three.
THE WEEK AHEAD
Tuesday, Apr. 2 - Tulsa AT Kansas City, 7:05 p.m. - Silverstein Eye Centers Arena (Independence, MO)
Friday, Apr. 5 - Kalamazoo vs Tulsa, 7:05 p.m. - BOK Center (Tulsa, OK)
Saturday, Apr. 6 - Kalamazoo vs Tulsa, 7:05 p.m. - BOK Center (Tulsa, OK)
Sunday, Apr. 7 - Wichita vs Tulsa, 4:05 p.m. - BOK Center (Tulsa, OK)
ON THE MOVE
- 3/29 - Tanner Karty signed to standard player contract.
- 3/28 - Alex Dostie reassigned by Anaheim (NHL) to San Diego (AHL).
- 3/28 - Jared Thomas recalled by San Diego (AHL).
- 3/26 - Charlie Sampair recalled by San Antonio (AHL).
- 3/25 - Ryan Tesink loaned to San Antonio (AHL).
- 3/25 - Stephen Perfetto recalled by San Antonio (AHL).
- Dylan Bredo has 7 assists during a 4-game point streak.
- Devin Williams has won 8 of his last 9 decisions since Jan. 6.
- Mike McKee recorded his first career 2-goal game Sunday vs. Utah.
- The first-place Oilers' magic number to clinch their division for the first time since 1976 is 5 points.
- Tulsa reached 40 wins Sunday for the first time since 1982.
- The Oilers have won 10 of their last 12 games and have won a season-high 5 straight games at home.
POINTS: 69 - Adam Pleskach
GOALS: 36 - Adam Pleskach
ASSISTS: 40 - Jared Thomas**
PLUS/MINUS: +25 - Steven Kaunisto
PIMS: 185 - Mike McKee
PP GOALS: 13 - Adam Pleskach
SH GOALS: 2 - Ryan Tesink, Jared Thomas
GW GOALS: 7 - Charlie Sampair
SHOTS: 300 - Adam Pleskach
WINS: 18 - Devin Williams
GAA: 2.12 - Ian Keserich
SAVE %: .919 - Ian Keserich
**currently with AHL's San Diego Gulls
POWER PLAY: Overall - 47/304 (15.5%) - 20th in the ECHL
Last Week - 3/13 (23.1%)
PENALTY KILL: Overall - 220/266 (82.7%) - 13th in the ECHL
Last Week - 11/13 (84.6%)
Adam Pleskach is 1st in the ECHL with 36 goals, 3rd with 69 points and tied for 1st with 13 power play goals... Devin Williams is 2nd in the ECHL in goals-against average (2.20)... Dylan Bredo is tied for 1st among league defensemen in assists (38) and tied for 5th in points (43)... Steven Kaunisto is 2nd among defensemen with 4 game-winning goals.
FRIDAY - PLAYER AWARDS
The Tulsa Oilers will be presenting annual team awards to the players prior to Friday's game against the Kalamazoo Wings at 7:05pm at the BOK Center. Among the awards with by Team MVP, Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year, Most Improved, "Vic Poole Never Give Up" Award, Ironman Awards, and Fan Favorite.
SATURDAY - EUROPEAN JERSEY NIGHT
Saturday Night will feature a combination of hockey and the yellow pages with the Tulsa Oilers' second-annual European Jersey Night, honoring the look of many hockey teams overseas. The Oilers will wear special jerseys featuring the logos of many of the team's fine sponsors, which will be auctioned off following the 7:05pm game against the Kalamazoo Wings in the newly-renovated OneOK Lounge at the BOK Center.
SUNDAY - FAN APPRECIATION NIGHT
The Oilers wrap up the regular season and pump up the excitement for the team's first playoff appearance since 2014-15 with Fan Appreciation Night at 4:05pm Sunday as Tulsa hosts the Wichita Thunder. Stay after the game for a postgame skate with the players on the York Plumbing Ice at the BOK Center.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 1, 2019
- Mariners Weekly: Win Or Don't Get In - Maine Mariners
- Grizzlies Announce 2019 Playoff Dates - Utah Grizzlies
- 'Blades Weekly: Regular Season Closes with Pair of Rivalry Tilts - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Weekly, April 1st - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers First Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Tulsa Oilers
- ECHL Transactions - April 1 - ECHL
- Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly - April 1, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Jeremy Helvig Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Florida Everblades
- Florida's Helvig Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Stingrays Weekly Report - April 1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Penguins Recall Cedric Lacroix - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Secure Home Ice - Toledo Walleye
- Culkin Reassigned to Maine - Maine Mariners
- Indy's Thompson Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 25 (March 25-31, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Komets Eye Playoff Berth; Final Week Features Four Games - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads First Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Idaho Steelheads
- Grubauer Is the MeiGray Group/ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Grubauer Is the MeiGray Group/ECHL Alumnus of the Month - Reading Royals
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals enter final week of season on five-game point streak - Reading Royals
- Lightning Reassign Alexei Lipanov to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Monday: KC Looks to Build on Momentum Towards Postseason - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - April 1 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.