Two out Trouble: Saints Fall to Indianapolis 10-3
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - The St. Paul Saints pitching staff just couldn't get the final out of the inning. They allowed nine, two-out runs and were beaten in the final game of the series against the Indianapolis Indians 10-3 on Sunday afternoon at Victory Field.
The Indians jumped out to the lead in the first as Saints starter Drew Strotman walked the leadoff hitter, Tucupita Marcano. He stole second and scored on a two-out single by Phillip Evans making it 1-0.
The Saints tied it in the second with Gilberto Celestino at first, Beau Sulser's errant pickoff attempt allowed Celestino to race around to third. BJ Boyd's RBI groundout knotted the game at one.
The Indians grabbed the lead in the bottom of the inning as Diego Castillo reached on a one out single to third. Jared Oliva was then hit by a pitch and Taylor Davis' RBI single to right-center put the Indians up 2-1.
Drew Stankiewicz tied it for the Saints in the third depositing a solo homer down the right field line, his second of the season, locking the game at two.
The Saints took their lone lead of the day in the fourth as Mitch Garver led off with a single to left-center. With two outs BJ Boyd singled Garver to second. Jimmy Kerrigan followed with an RBI double giving the Saints a 3-2 lead.
The Indians put up the first crooked inning of the day when they scored three in the fifth, all with two outs. With runners at first and second and two outs, a passed ball moved the runners to second and third. Three straight RBI singles by Chris Sharpe, Marcano, and Michael Chavis gave the Indians a 5-3 lead.
The Indians kept pouring it on in the fifth as Strotman faced the first two hitters before coming out of the game. He walked Evans and gave up a single to Hunter Owen. Yennier Cano took over and walked Diego Castillo to load the bases. Cano fanned the next two, but then walked Sharpe to force in a run and make it 6-3. An RBI single by Marcano and a two-run single from Chavis gave the Indians a 9-3 lead.
The Indians finished off their two out run scoring barrage in the sixth. With two outs and nobody on, Castillo reached on an infield single, Ka'ai Tom was hit by a pitch, and Davis singled to left. Sharpe then hit a grounder to short that Stankiewicz fielded, but the ball slipped out of his hand as he went to throw to second allowing Castillo to score making it 10-3 Indians.
The Saints have Monday and Tuesday off and return to action for the "Final Stretch," a 10-game playoff for all of Triple-A. They begin a five-game series against the Iowa Cubs on Wednesday at 7:05 p.m. at CHS Field. Both teams are TBA.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Bulls Down Knights 9-4 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Drop Sunday's Finale to Bulls 9-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Bats Outlast Birds in Series Finale - Louisville Bats
- Redbirds Wrap up Homestand with Loss to Louisville - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Record 13 Hits to Take Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- Jones Hammers Two Homers in Regular Season Finale Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Five-Run Fifth Inning Propels Jacksonville to Series Win - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Greene Goes Yard in Finale Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Defeat Rochester, 5-1, Gear up for 'Final Stretch' - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians Rake 13 Singles in 10-3 Triumph - Indianapolis Indians
- Syracuse Offense Leads Way in 9-4 Win over Worcester on Sunday Afternoon - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Close Regular Season with a Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Drop Regular Season Finale, 5-1, Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Tides Lose Game, Series vs. Jacksonville Sunday - Norfolk Tides
- Regular Season Finale goes to RailRiders - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Two out Trouble: Saints Fall to Indianapolis 10-3 - St. Paul Saints
- WooSox Fall in Regular Season Finale, Enter Final Stretch at 66-52 - Worcester Red Sox
- Gwinnett Powers Their Way over Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- September 19 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 19, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Andújar Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 19, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (56-62) vs. St. Paul Saints (61-58) - Indianapolis Indians
- Former Jumbo Shrimp Fortes Homers in Big League Debut - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Pair of Grand Slams Lead Chasers to Saturday Night Win over I-Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Blows out Iowa to Snap Streak - Iowa Cubs
- Knights Fall to Bulls 9-5 on Saturday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Clinch Triple-A National Championship with 9-5 Win over Knights - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Set Your Watch to It: Saints Determine Game Times for 2022 Season
- Another All-Star Nod, Tomás Telis Earns Triple-A East All-Star Spot at Catcher
- Saints Put a Bow on First Triple-A Season with 6-4 Win
- Saints Furious Rally in Ninth Not Enough in 8-5 Loss
- Saints Officially Eliminated from Final Stretch with 8-2 Loss to Mud Hens