RailRiders Close Regular Season with a Win
ALLENTOWN, Pa. - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders finished their 2021 regular season schedule with a 5-1 win over the Lehigh Valley IronPigs at Coca-Cola Park on Sunday afternoon. The RailRiders now turn their attention toward the "Final Stretch" postseason tournament, which begins on Wednesday night.
In the first game of his MLB rehab assignment, Miguel Andujar went 1-for-2 with a walk and an RBI while playing five innings in left field.
JP Sears (5-0) was brilliant on Sunday, holding the IronPigs to just one unearned run in 6.0 innings, scattering three hits and striking out seven without allowing a walk. The lefty struck out 18 batters without a walk in 12.0 innings against Lehigh Valley this week while picking up two wins.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre took the lead in the top of the third when Socrates Brito doubled, advanced to third on a groundout, and scored on a Mauricio Llovera wild pitch. An RBI single by the IronPigs' Luke Williams in the bottom of the fourth tied the game at 1-1.
The RailRiders rallied against Jeff Singer in the top of the fifth, as the first five batters reached base and three runs scored. Singles from Brito, Andujar and Donny Sands did the damage. Sands has been one of the hottest hitters in the lineup down the stretch for SWB, picking up his 11th RBI in his last nine games with his fifth-inning hit.
In the top of the sixth, Brito tallied another RBI with a single to left scoring Greg Allen to extend the lead to 5-1. Allen had a strong game at the plate, finishing 3-for-5 with a stolen base and a run scored.
Reggie McClain and Brody Koerner worked scoreless innings of relief in back of Sears, and Ron Marinaccio worked around a two-out single in the ninth to close out the win.
In addition to Allen's three hits, Brito also tallied three hits and two RBIs, and Trey Amburgey finished with two hits and a double to lead the way offensively in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's 12-hit attack. The RailRiders complete the 2021 regular season with a record of 68-49, and won the 2021 IronRail Series 21-15 over the IronPigs.
With the regular season complete, the RailRiders return home to begin the new Triple-A "Final Stretch" postseason tournament on Wednesday. SWB plays a five-game series with the Syracuse Mets from Wednesday through Sunday to constitute the final homestand of the year. For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Bulls Down Knights 9-4 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Drop Sunday's Finale to Bulls 9-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Bats Outlast Birds in Series Finale - Louisville Bats
- Redbirds Wrap up Homestand with Loss to Louisville - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Record 13 Hits to Take Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- Jones Hammers Two Homers in Regular Season Finale Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Five-Run Fifth Inning Propels Jacksonville to Series Win - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Greene Goes Yard in Finale Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Defeat Rochester, 5-1, Gear up for 'Final Stretch' - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians Rake 13 Singles in 10-3 Triumph - Indianapolis Indians
- Syracuse Offense Leads Way in 9-4 Win over Worcester on Sunday Afternoon - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Close Regular Season with a Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Drop Regular Season Finale, 5-1, Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Tides Lose Game, Series vs. Jacksonville Sunday - Norfolk Tides
- Regular Season Finale goes to RailRiders - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Two out Trouble: Saints Fall to Indianapolis 10-3 - St. Paul Saints
- WooSox Fall in Regular Season Finale, Enter Final Stretch at 66-52 - Worcester Red Sox
- Gwinnett Powers Their Way over Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- September 19 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 19, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Andújar Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 19, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (56-62) vs. St. Paul Saints (61-58) - Indianapolis Indians
- Former Jumbo Shrimp Fortes Homers in Big League Debut - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Pair of Grand Slams Lead Chasers to Saturday Night Win over I-Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Blows out Iowa to Snap Streak - Iowa Cubs
- Knights Fall to Bulls 9-5 on Saturday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Clinch Triple-A National Championship with 9-5 Win over Knights - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.