Bulls Down Knights 9-4
CHARLOTTE, NC - Bulls catcher Brett Sullivan smacked two hits and drove in four runs, while second baseman Esteban Quiroz lined a go-ahead two-run single as part of a five-run eighth inning in Durham's 9-4 win over the Charlotte Knights on Sunday evening at Truist Field.
With the win, the Bulls finished the 2021 regular season with a 77-43 record, their highest record above the .500 mark of the season, as well as the best record among all 30 Triple-A squads in 2021. The squad's .642 win percentage is also the highest in franchise history over a full season, besting the .636 win percentage set during the 1962 season.
The Knights jumped ahead with a two-run opening frame before adding a single tally in the third to make it 3-0. Sullivan would then narrow the deficit with an RBI single to right, though Charlotte extended the advantage to 4-1 with another single score in the fourth. One frame later, Sullivan evened the contest at 4-4 with a bases-clearing three-run double. Quiroz's two-run single in the eighth would then be the start of Durham's big five-run eighth inning also highlighted by 1B Dalton Kelly's infielder RBI single.
RF Josh Lowe (3-4, 2 R, BB) posted a game-high three hits in the victory, with Sullivan (2-4, R, 2B, 4 RBI), Kelly (2-5, RBI) 3B Miles Mastrobuoni (2-5, R, 2B) adding multi-hit efforts as well.
Bulls southpaw Josh Fleming (1.0 IP, 2 K) earned the win with a perfect inning of relief, combining with five Durham hurlers for the final five shutout frames. Knights reliever Lane Ramsey (0.0 IP, 3 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB) suffered the defeat.
The Bulls return to Durham for their final homestand of the year on Wednesday, September 22, beginning the Triple-A Final Stretch with a five-game series versus the Gwinnett Stripers, the Triple-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves. First pitch of the series opener is set for 6:35pm. Tickets for that game, as well as all remaining Bulls home games are available and can be purchased at DurhamBulls.com.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Bulls Down Knights 9-4 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Drop Sunday's Finale to Bulls 9-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Bats Outlast Birds in Series Finale - Louisville Bats
- Redbirds Wrap up Homestand with Loss to Louisville - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Record 13 Hits to Take Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- Jones Hammers Two Homers in Regular Season Finale Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Five-Run Fifth Inning Propels Jacksonville to Series Win - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Greene Goes Yard in Finale Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Defeat Rochester, 5-1, Gear up for 'Final Stretch' - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians Rake 13 Singles in 10-3 Triumph - Indianapolis Indians
- Syracuse Offense Leads Way in 9-4 Win over Worcester on Sunday Afternoon - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Close Regular Season with a Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Drop Regular Season Finale, 5-1, Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Tides Lose Game, Series vs. Jacksonville Sunday - Norfolk Tides
- Regular Season Finale goes to RailRiders - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Two out Trouble: Saints Fall to Indianapolis 10-3 - St. Paul Saints
- WooSox Fall in Regular Season Finale, Enter Final Stretch at 66-52 - Worcester Red Sox
- Gwinnett Powers Their Way over Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- September 19 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 19, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Andújar Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 19, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (56-62) vs. St. Paul Saints (61-58) - Indianapolis Indians
- Former Jumbo Shrimp Fortes Homers in Big League Debut - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Pair of Grand Slams Lead Chasers to Saturday Night Win over I-Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Blows out Iowa to Snap Streak - Iowa Cubs
- Knights Fall to Bulls 9-5 on Saturday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Clinch Triple-A National Championship with 9-5 Win over Knights - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Durham Bulls Stories
- Durham Bulls Named Best Team of 2021 by MiLB.com
- Bulls' Fall Fan Fest Presented by Blue Cross NC Set for Saturday, November 13
- Bulls, Blue Cross NC Team up to Help Durham Community in 2021 Season
- Bulls Announce Return of Wool E. Bull's Baste Race Presented by Pnc Bank
- Bulls Finish Historic Season with 86-44 Record After 3-2 Defeat