Bats Outlast Birds in Series Finale
Memphis, Tenn. - The Louisville Bats rallied late as Chris Okey launched two home runs and three other Bats turned in multi-hit games to take the series finale 8-7 against the Memphis Redbirds on Sunday afternoon at AutoZone Park.
Chris Okey went 4-5 with two homeruns and Alejo Lopez, Francisco Urbaez had three hits each with Michael De Leon adding two of his own to highlight a 13-hit performance from the Bats. LHP Reiver Sanmartin went five innings, allowing four runs on six hits while striking out six.
The Redbirds struck first in the bottom of the third after a one-out Nick Plummer walk provided an opportunity to score. Plummer stole second as Matthew Liberatore struck out on a missed bunt to move into score position with two outs. Brendan Donovan singled to right to bring the run home and take a 1-0 lead but was cut down from the outfield by Brantley Bell trying to take extra bases.
Louisville answered in the fifth with a run of its own. Lopez doubled and Francisco Urbaez singled to start the inning. Mike Freeman reached first on a fielder's choice that score Lopez to even things 1-1. The threat would come to pass as the next two Louisville batters hit into outs.
In the home half of the fifth, Memphis put up three more runs to take a 4-1 lead, capped off by an RBI double from Kramer Robertson.
The Bats and Redbirds traded runs in the sixth and seventh to make it a 5-2 game. Louisville's run came courtesy of Chris Okey on a solo blast to left field, his fourth of the season.
Louisville rallied late, scoring five runs with two outs in the eighth inning to take 7-5 lead. The Bats had five hits and two walks in the frame. Lopez tied the game with a 2-RBI single to left and three batters later Narciso Crook shot another line drive to left to score two more and give Louisville a 7-5 lead.
Memphis scratched one across in the bottom of eighth to get back within one at 7-6, but Okey sent a deep fly ball over the left-center wall for his second homer of the game to give the Bats a two-run lead with three outs to play. The Redbirds would plate one final run in the last frame of the game off a Kramer Robertson homerun, but the Bats would hold on for the 8-7 win.
The Bats will enjoy the next two days off before welcoming the Toledo Mud Hens for a five-game home series from Wednesday, Sep. 22- Sunday, Sep. 26.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Bulls Down Knights 9-4 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Drop Sunday's Finale to Bulls 9-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Bats Outlast Birds in Series Finale - Louisville Bats
- Redbirds Wrap up Homestand with Loss to Louisville - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Record 13 Hits to Take Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- Jones Hammers Two Homers in Regular Season Finale Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Five-Run Fifth Inning Propels Jacksonville to Series Win - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Greene Goes Yard in Finale Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Defeat Rochester, 5-1, Gear up for 'Final Stretch' - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians Rake 13 Singles in 10-3 Triumph - Indianapolis Indians
- Syracuse Offense Leads Way in 9-4 Win over Worcester on Sunday Afternoon - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Close Regular Season with a Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Drop Regular Season Finale, 5-1, Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Tides Lose Game, Series vs. Jacksonville Sunday - Norfolk Tides
- Regular Season Finale goes to RailRiders - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Two out Trouble: Saints Fall to Indianapolis 10-3 - St. Paul Saints
- WooSox Fall in Regular Season Finale, Enter Final Stretch at 66-52 - Worcester Red Sox
- Gwinnett Powers Their Way over Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- September 19 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 19, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Andújar Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 19, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (56-62) vs. St. Paul Saints (61-58) - Indianapolis Indians
- Former Jumbo Shrimp Fortes Homers in Big League Debut - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Pair of Grand Slams Lead Chasers to Saturday Night Win over I-Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Blows out Iowa to Snap Streak - Iowa Cubs
- Knights Fall to Bulls 9-5 on Saturday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Clinch Triple-A National Championship with 9-5 Win over Knights - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.