Former Jumbo Shrimp Fortes Homers in Big League Debut
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Former Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp catcher Nick Fortes hit a home run in his MLB debut Saturday for the Miami Marlins against the Pittsburgh Pirates from loanDepot park. Fortes follows fellow catcher Payton Henry, who debuted on Friday for Miami, as the second Jumbo Shrimp alumnus to debut in the majors in as many days. They are the first duo to debut as starting catchers on consecutive days since the St. Louis Browns' Joe Jenkins and Jack Enzenroth on April 30 and May 1, 1914.
By hitting a two-run home run in the fifth inning off Pirates starter Bryse Wilson, Fortes became the eighth Marlin, including the fourth Marlins catcher, to hit a home run in his major league debut. Overall, Fortes finished 2-for-3 with two RBIs in a 6-3 Pirates win. His first hit was a single to center field in the third off Wilson.
A fourth-round pick by the Marlins in the 2018 draft out of the University of Mississippi, Fortes was promoted to Jacksonville on July 25 from Double-A Pensacola, where he hit .251/.338/.359 with 10 doubles, one triple, three home runs, 23 RBIs, 21 runs scored and five stolen bases in 57 games. Fortes played in 38 games with the Jumbo Shrimp prior to his promotion to the major leagues, slashing .237/.322/.378 with seven doubles, four homers, 21 RBIs and 16 runs scored.
A native of DeLand, Fla., Fortes starred at Ole Miss as a junior in 2018, earning All-SEC Second Team honors after batting .319 with 12 doubles, 11 home runs, 49 RBIs, 56 runs scored and a .519 slugging percentage. On the season, he struck out just 25 times compared to 46 walks and was also named the SEC Tournament MVP.
Fortes is the 10th Jacksonville alumnus to debut in the majors during the 2021 season and the 927th player to have played both in Jacksonville and in the majors over the history of Jacksonville Minor League Baseball, which dates back to 1904.
Jumbo Shrimp alumni who have made their major league debut in 2021 include Fortes and Henry, infielder José Devers (April 24, Marlins), right-hander Luis Madero (May 10, Marlins), right-hander Cody Poteet (May 12, Marlins), infielder Luis Marté (June 1, Marlins), right-hander Zach Thompson (June 7, Marlins), outfielder Brian Miller (July 31, Marlins), left-hander Sean Guenther (August 4, Marlins) and right-hander Edward Cabrera (August 25, Marlins).
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Bulls Down Knights 9-4 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Drop Sunday's Finale to Bulls 9-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Bats Outlast Birds in Series Finale - Louisville Bats
- Redbirds Wrap up Homestand with Loss to Louisville - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Record 13 Hits to Take Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- Jones Hammers Two Homers in Regular Season Finale Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Five-Run Fifth Inning Propels Jacksonville to Series Win - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Greene Goes Yard in Finale Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Defeat Rochester, 5-1, Gear up for 'Final Stretch' - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians Rake 13 Singles in 10-3 Triumph - Indianapolis Indians
- Syracuse Offense Leads Way in 9-4 Win over Worcester on Sunday Afternoon - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Close Regular Season with a Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Drop Regular Season Finale, 5-1, Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Tides Lose Game, Series vs. Jacksonville Sunday - Norfolk Tides
- Regular Season Finale goes to RailRiders - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Two out Trouble: Saints Fall to Indianapolis 10-3 - St. Paul Saints
- WooSox Fall in Regular Season Finale, Enter Final Stretch at 66-52 - Worcester Red Sox
- Gwinnett Powers Their Way over Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- September 19 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 19, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Andújar Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 19, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (56-62) vs. St. Paul Saints (61-58) - Indianapolis Indians
- Former Jumbo Shrimp Fortes Homers in Big League Debut - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Pair of Grand Slams Lead Chasers to Saturday Night Win over I-Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Blows out Iowa to Snap Streak - Iowa Cubs
- Knights Fall to Bulls 9-5 on Saturday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Clinch Triple-A National Championship with 9-5 Win over Knights - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Photos with Santa, Holiday Crafts Headline Very Shrimp Christmas on December 11
- Scampi Open Rescheduled for February 27
- Scampi Open Returns on November 14
- Díaz Named Marlins Triple-A Player of the Year
- Castano Takes No-Hitter into the Eighth Inning as Jacksonville Claims Season Finale