Redbirds Wrap up Homestand with Loss to Louisville
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Memphis Redbirds wrapped up their weeklong, six-game series against the Louisville Bats (Triple-A affiliate, Cincinnati Reds) with an 8-7 loss on Sunday afternoon at AutoZone Park. The 'Birds still dominated the season series, winning 17 of their 24 games against Louisville this season.
Matthew Liberatore tossed another impressive start for Memphis (57-63), allowing just one run on five hits with six strikeouts. The top pitching prospect in the St. Louis Cardinals system is finishing the season strong. Liberatore has allowed three earned runs or less in each of his last eight outings. Since August, the 21-year-old has surrendered 17 earned runs in 49.0 IP for an ERA of 3.12 with 46 strikeouts.
The game was tied at one entering the fifth inning, when the Redbirds surged ahead with three separate two-out RBI hits. Brendan Donovan had one of the RBI hits. He had an outstanding afternoon at the plate, going 3-for-4 with three singles and two runs driven in.
Alec Burleson added insurance with a solo home run in the bottom of the seventh. Burleson brought out his power bat this week at AutoZone Park. The lefthanded slugger had five extra-base hits (two home runs, three doubles) with six runs scored.
Louisville (51-68) went ahead for good with a five-run eighth inning. The Bats had five hits in the frame, including a go-ahead, two-run, two-out single from Narciso Crook. He finished the series 6-18 at the plate, good for a .333 batting average.
Memphis scored a run in the eighth to slim the deficit to 7-6, but Louisville bounced right back with another run in the ninth via a Chris Okey home run to make it 8-6 and a two-run lead again. Okey had an awesome day at the plate, going 4-for-5 with two home runs and three runs scored.
The Redbirds completed the afternoon's scoring via a Kramer Robertson solo home run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. He had an excellent end to the series. Robertson went 4-for-7 combined between Saturday and Sunday with five runs driven in and three runs scored.
The Memphis Redbirds are the proud Triple-A Affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. Memphis has claimed four League Championships and one Triple-A National Championship since their affiliation with St. Louis began in 1998. For the latest team news, follow the Redbirds on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Ticket information can be found at memphisredbirds.com/tickets.
Tuesday, September 21 at Jacksonville (6:05 p.m. CT)
- Redbirds Probable Starter: LHP Zack Thompson
- Jumbo Shrimp Probable Starter: RHP Nick Neidert
Listen: MiLB First Pitch App
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Bulls Down Knights 9-4 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Drop Sunday's Finale to Bulls 9-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Bats Outlast Birds in Series Finale - Louisville Bats
- Redbirds Wrap up Homestand with Loss to Louisville - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Record 13 Hits to Take Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- Jones Hammers Two Homers in Regular Season Finale Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Five-Run Fifth Inning Propels Jacksonville to Series Win - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Greene Goes Yard in Finale Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Defeat Rochester, 5-1, Gear up for 'Final Stretch' - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians Rake 13 Singles in 10-3 Triumph - Indianapolis Indians
- Syracuse Offense Leads Way in 9-4 Win over Worcester on Sunday Afternoon - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Close Regular Season with a Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Drop Regular Season Finale, 5-1, Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Tides Lose Game, Series vs. Jacksonville Sunday - Norfolk Tides
- Regular Season Finale goes to RailRiders - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Two out Trouble: Saints Fall to Indianapolis 10-3 - St. Paul Saints
- WooSox Fall in Regular Season Finale, Enter Final Stretch at 66-52 - Worcester Red Sox
- Gwinnett Powers Their Way over Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- September 19 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 19, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Andújar Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 19, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (56-62) vs. St. Paul Saints (61-58) - Indianapolis Indians
- Former Jumbo Shrimp Fortes Homers in Big League Debut - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Pair of Grand Slams Lead Chasers to Saturday Night Win over I-Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Blows out Iowa to Snap Streak - Iowa Cubs
- Knights Fall to Bulls 9-5 on Saturday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Clinch Triple-A National Championship with 9-5 Win over Knights - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.