Tides Lose Game, Series vs. Jacksonville Sunday
The Norfolk Tides played the last game of the series vs. Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp on September 19, losing 6-5. The Tides gave up a five-run fifth inning that allowed the Jumbo Shrimp to jump ahead. The Tides lost the series 2-4, with the Tides finishing 11-25 overall against the Jumbo Shrimp this year.
Only one hit was needed in the second inning in order for the Jumbo Shrimp to score. They went up 1-0 after a double by Zach Zehner allowed Joe Dunand to score after he reached safely on a hit-by-pitch.
Adley Rutschman hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the second that put the tides up 2-0. This was Rutschman's fourth home run of the year and has 15 RBI in 33 games. The Tides have 14 straight games with a home run, which is the longest home run streak for the Tides this year, since a 10 game streak from June 6 to June 17.
The Jumbo Shrimp had a five-run fifth inning that consisted off an RBI single, a three-run home run, and an unearned run scored off of a Tides' error. Three singles started off the inning, with Bryson Brigman's RBI single tying the game for the Jumbo Shrimp. They were able to take the lead after a three-run home run by Monte Harrison. With two outs, the Tides couldn't get out of the inning, after a fielding error allowed for the Jumbo Shrimp to score an unearned run. The Jumbo Shrimp jumped out to a 6-2 lead after they had five hits in that inning.
The Tides gave up five runs in the fifth inning to the Jumbo Shrimp. The Tides have given up 90 runs to opponents in the fifth. The runs in the fifth inning given up by the Tides is the most of all the other innings, with the closest being the second inning at 89 runs.
Since their two-run home run in the third inning, the Tides were held to just three hits and four walks through to the rest of the game. The Tides had a very low hitting night with only five hits total compared to the eleven hits by the Jumbo Shrimp. This is the second game in the row for the Tides that all their runs came off home runs.
Ryan Hartman (4.2 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 5 ER, BB, HR, 6 SO) in his fourth start for the Tides got his first loss. He tied his season-high in hits allowed and runs allowed. Even so, Hartman threw six strikeouts on 86 pitches, the most pitches he has thrown with the Tides this year in eight appearances.
With the Tides finishing their series against the Jumbo Shrimp in their 6-2 loss. The last ten games of the year for the Tides were added earlier in the year, with them facing the Charlotte Knights and the Durham Bulls in a five game series. The next game for the Tides is on September 22, down in Charlotte against the Knights. The Tides won't be back home until September 29, at 7 p.m. at Harbor Park facing the Durham Bulls.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Bulls Down Knights 9-4 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Drop Sunday's Finale to Bulls 9-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Bats Outlast Birds in Series Finale - Louisville Bats
- Redbirds Wrap up Homestand with Loss to Louisville - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Record 13 Hits to Take Series Finale - Iowa Cubs
- Jones Hammers Two Homers in Regular Season Finale Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Five-Run Fifth Inning Propels Jacksonville to Series Win - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Greene Goes Yard in Finale Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bisons Defeat Rochester, 5-1, Gear up for 'Final Stretch' - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians Rake 13 Singles in 10-3 Triumph - Indianapolis Indians
- Syracuse Offense Leads Way in 9-4 Win over Worcester on Sunday Afternoon - Syracuse Mets
- RailRiders Close Regular Season with a Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Drop Regular Season Finale, 5-1, Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Tides Lose Game, Series vs. Jacksonville Sunday - Norfolk Tides
- Regular Season Finale goes to RailRiders - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Two out Trouble: Saints Fall to Indianapolis 10-3 - St. Paul Saints
- WooSox Fall in Regular Season Finale, Enter Final Stretch at 66-52 - Worcester Red Sox
- Gwinnett Powers Their Way over Nashville - Nashville Sounds
- September 19 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 19, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Andújar Begins MLB Rehab Assignment with RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 19, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (56-62) vs. St. Paul Saints (61-58) - Indianapolis Indians
- Former Jumbo Shrimp Fortes Homers in Big League Debut - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Pair of Grand Slams Lead Chasers to Saturday Night Win over I-Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Omaha Blows out Iowa to Snap Streak - Iowa Cubs
- Knights Fall to Bulls 9-5 on Saturday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Clinch Triple-A National Championship with 9-5 Win over Knights - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.