Tulsa Falls to Wichita in Regular Season Finale
TULSA, OK - Having already clinched the Mountain Division title entering Sunday's regular season finale, the Tulsa Oilers (42-24-6) suffered a 5-2 loss to the Wichita Thunder (29-31-12) at the BOK Center.
Wichita jumped out to a 3-0 first period lead on just five shots, as Ralph Cuddemi scored 4:05 into the game, followed by goals from Corey Kalk and Jason Salvaggio just 36 seconds apart midway through the opening period.
Ryan Van Stralen added to the Thunder lead 6:20 into the second period with a wrist shot off the post that clanked into the net to make it 4-0. The Oilers spoiled the shutout bid of Stuart Skinner when Alex Dostie scored his fourth goal in five games with a goal from the left circle that beat the Wichita goaltender with 22 seconds left in the middle stanza.
Rookie defenseman John Teets made it 4-2 with a shot from the point that made it through a screen and into the net for his first professional goal five minutes into the third. Skinner stopped 40 of 42 in the game and prevented the Oilers from crawling back any closer. Steven Iacobellis scored a late insurance goal to make it 5-2, as Evan Fitzpatrick suffered the loss with 22 saves on 27 shots.
The Oilers face the Kansas City Mavericks in the first round of the Kelly Cup Playoffs, presented by SmileDirectClub, starting with Game 1 of a best-of-seven series Thursday at 7:05pm at the BOK Center. A full schedule of the series will be released Monday.
First round playoff tickets are on sale now! Game 1 is scheduled for Thursday, April 11 at 7:05pm at the BOK Center, followed by Game 2 Sunday, April 14 at 4:05pm at the BOK Center. Call 918-632-7825 or visit www.tulsaoilers.com to purchase playoff tickets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2019
- Rays Finish Sweep of Gladiators, Clinch Playoff Spot - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Rally for Postseason Falls Just Short - Atlanta Gladiators
- Schedule for Division Semifinals of 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs Presented by SmileDirectClub - ECHL
- Fitze Powers Solar Bears Past IceMen in 5-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tulsa Falls to Wichita in Regular Season Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Closes 2018-19 with Win at Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Beast Close out Regular Season with Loss, Begin Gearing up for Playoffs - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Conclude 2018-19 in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Announce First Round Schedule for Kelly Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Announce Round 1 Playoff Schedule - Adirondack Thunder
- Grizzlies End Regular Season with 7-4 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Railers Close out Season with 5-4 Overtime Thriller in Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Clinch No. 2 Seed with a Point against Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Conclude Regular Season with a Shootout Loss to Maine - Newfoundland Growlers
- Steelheads Close Regular Season with 7-4 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- More Murphy Shootout Magic as Mariners End Inaugural Season with Win - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - April 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Defenseman Eric Sweetman Returns to Steelheads from Grand Rapids - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Predators Prospect Inks Deal with Atlanta - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, April 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Season Ends with a 4-1 Loss to Wichita - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 3-2 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Oilers Clinch First Division Title in 43 Years - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.