Steelheads Close Regular Season with 7-4 Loss to Grizzlies
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - The Idaho Steelheads (41-25-6) finish the 2018-19 regular season with a 7-4 loss to the Utah Grizzlies (37-26-9) on Sunday afternoon from Maverik Center. The Steelheads close the regular season in second place in the Mountain Division.
The Steelheads scored the only first period goal of the weekend early at 3:31 when forward Spencer Naas led a 2-on-1 break and fired a shot from the right circle through the netminder to take the 1-0 lead.
The scoring exploded in the second period with seven combined goals and five of those tallies on special teams. At 0:43, Grizzlies forward Ty Lewis slotted a puck around the netminder on the power play to tie the game at 1-1, beginning the back and forth. Steelheads forward Kale Kessy snatched a power play goal thanks to both the post and crossbar at 2:25 to take another lead, 2-1. The Grizzlies scored two goals, one from Jack Walker on the power play at 5:20 and another by forward Josh Dickinson even-strength, grabbing their first lead of the day, 3-2.
The Steelheads came back with two more goals on a counter answer beginning at 8:24 when forward Elgin Pearce was given credit on a goal scored by a Grizzlies forward and followed at 9:46 on a power play goal from defenseman Charlie Dodero coming from the blueline, vaulting the Steelheads ahead 4-3. Grizzlies defenseman Taylor Richart finished off the hefty-scoring period at 12:02 with a power play tally of his own, sending the game tied, 4-4, in the third period.
The Grizzlies pulled away in the final frame with the second from Richart at 0:18 followed by a goal from defenseman Gabriel Verpaelst at 3:31 as well as the final insurance goal by forward Mitch Maxwell at 18:02 to seal off the 7-4 victory.
Grizzlies netmidner Kevin Carr (20-9-3) stopped 33 of 37 shots in the win, while Steelheads goaltender Ryan Faragher (8-8-2) halted 23 of 30 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads open the 2019 U.S. Bank Kelly Cup Playoffs, presented by SmileDirectClub, on Friday, Apr. 12 and Saturday, Apr. 13 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena against the Utah Grizzlies. The full schedule for the Mountain Division Semifinals will be announced on Monday, Apr. 8 at 12:00 p.m. MT.
Tickets throughout the postseason are on sale now! For series-long or individual tickets, contact Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com. Make sure to wear white as the Steelheads begin their quest for their third Kelly Cup Championship!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2019
- Rays Finish Sweep of Gladiators, Clinch Playoff Spot - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Rally for Postseason Falls Just Short - Atlanta Gladiators
- Schedule for Division Semifinals of 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs Presented by SmileDirectClub - ECHL
- Fitze Powers Solar Bears Past IceMen in 5-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tulsa Falls to Wichita in Regular Season Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Closes 2018-19 with Win at Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Beast Close out Regular Season with Loss, Begin Gearing up for Playoffs - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Conclude 2018-19 in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Announce First Round Schedule for Kelly Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Announce Round 1 Playoff Schedule - Adirondack Thunder
- Grizzlies End Regular Season with 7-4 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Railers Close out Season with 5-4 Overtime Thriller in Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Clinch No. 2 Seed with a Point against Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Conclude Regular Season with a Shootout Loss to Maine - Newfoundland Growlers
- Steelheads Close Regular Season with 7-4 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- More Murphy Shootout Magic as Mariners End Inaugural Season with Win - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - April 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Defenseman Eric Sweetman Returns to Steelheads from Grand Rapids - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Predators Prospect Inks Deal with Atlanta - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, April 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Season Ends with a 4-1 Loss to Wichita - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 3-2 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Oilers Clinch First Division Title in 43 Years - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.