Growlers Conclude Regular Season with a Shootout Loss to Maine
The Growlers regular season schedule concluded Sunday evening with a gritty 4-3 shootout loss to the Maine Mariners.
It was a tough start for the Growlers as Maine opened the game with 3 straight goals. Ty Ronning would put 2 goals past Growlers goalie Michael Gartieg and Taylor Cammarata added the other Mariners marker.
The Growlers started the second period down 3-0 but soon began the comeback, they went on to score three straight goals of their own to force overtime. Scott Pooley scored first goal for the Growlers, netting his team high 31st goal of the season. Zach O'Brien and defenceman Evan Neugold added the other tallies for club from Newfoundland.
Overtime settled nothing and the game flowed into a shootout where Mariners Greg Chase and Wade Murphy sealed the victory for the hockey club from Maine. The Growlers did not score in the shootout.
Scott Pooley scored his 31st goal, cementing his place as the Growlers top goal scorer for their Inaugural season.
The Growlers finish the season with a North Division leading record of 43-21-4-4.
Zach O'Brien had a goal and 2 assists in the loss but was held off the three-star listing.
The three stars were 3 - C. Nell (MNE), 2 - T. Ronning (MNE) and 1 -W. Murphy (MNE)
The Newfoundland Growlers head into the Kelly Cup Playoffs, presented by Smile Direct Club, as they take on the Brampton Beast in Round One. Game one and two are set for Friday, April 12 and Saturday, April 13th at Mile One Centre. Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Mile One Centre Box Office, by phone at 576-7657 or online at mileonecentre.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2019
- Rays Finish Sweep of Gladiators, Clinch Playoff Spot - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Rally for Postseason Falls Just Short - Atlanta Gladiators
- Schedule for Division Semifinals of 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs Presented by SmileDirectClub - ECHL
- Fitze Powers Solar Bears Past IceMen in 5-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tulsa Falls to Wichita in Regular Season Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Closes 2018-19 with Win at Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Beast Close out Regular Season with Loss, Begin Gearing up for Playoffs - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Conclude 2018-19 in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Announce First Round Schedule for Kelly Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Announce Round 1 Playoff Schedule - Adirondack Thunder
- Grizzlies End Regular Season with 7-4 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Railers Close out Season with 5-4 Overtime Thriller in Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Clinch No. 2 Seed with a Point against Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Conclude Regular Season with a Shootout Loss to Maine - Newfoundland Growlers
- Steelheads Close Regular Season with 7-4 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- More Murphy Shootout Magic as Mariners End Inaugural Season with Win - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - April 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Defenseman Eric Sweetman Returns to Steelheads from Grand Rapids - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Predators Prospect Inks Deal with Atlanta - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, April 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Season Ends with a 4-1 Loss to Wichita - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 3-2 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Oilers Clinch First Division Title in 43 Years - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.