Thunder Clinch No. 2 Seed with a Point against Worcester
GLENS FALLS, NY - John Edwardh scored two goals to tie him for the team lead, Kelly Summers picked up a multi-point effort in his return to the lineup and the Adirondack Thunder clinched the No. 2 seed in the North Division with a 5-4 (OT) loss to the Worcester Railers on Sunday afternoon at Cool Insuring Arena.
Edwardh started the game's scoring with a power-play tally at 10:29 of the opening period. In the diminishing seconds of the man advance, Desmond Bergin stickhandled down low before firing a pass off the boards to Summers. The defenseman slid his pass from right to left for Edwardh where he stepped in and blasted an absolute bomb by Mitch Gillam for a 1-0 Thunder lead.
Ivan Chukarov scored the next two goals of the game, both in the second period for Worcester. First, the blueliner fired a quick wrister over the shoulder of Alex Sakellaropoulos when he found himself alone in front of the cage. Five minutes later, Chukarov collected the puck off a faceoff win and put a shot on net that beat a screened Sakellaropuolos to switch the advantage to Worcester in a 2-1 game.
Edwardh recorded his second goal, a shorthanded score, to tie the game at 8:39 of the second. Charging down the right wing, the former UMass-Lowell Riverhawk snapped a quick wrister that went post-in to tie the game at two goals apiece.
Worcester's Tommy Kelley gave the Railers the lead after 40 minutes when he flipped in his backhand shot off a rebound from Josh Holmstrom's original attempt.
James Henry gave the game its fourth tie when he redirected a Mike Sdao shot past Gillam just over three minutes into the final regulation period. Sdao collected a bouncing puck and took a monster clapper from the blueline that Henry got with the blade of his stick to sneak in by Gillam.
The Thunder took the lead back courtesy of a Matt Salhany goal just 1:19 later. The second-year pro had easy pickings after a rebound bounced off Gillam's pads and right to him on the door-step. Matias Cleland picked up the only assist on the goal after his booming slap-shot caused the rebound.
Ryan Hitchcock sent the game to overtime with a late tally with just 80 seconds remaining and Matty Gaudreau won it for the Railers in overtime.
With the point collected, Adirondack clinched the second seed in the North Division as they get set to take on the Manchester Monarchs in Round 1 of the Kelly Cup Playoffs, presented by SmileDirectClub. Game 1 will be Friday night at Cool Insuring Arena at 7:00 p.m. For the latest Thunder news, follow the team on all social media @ECHLThunder.
Images from this story
Adirondack Thunder forward Shane Conacher
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2019
- Rays Finish Sweep of Gladiators, Clinch Playoff Spot - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Rally for Postseason Falls Just Short - Atlanta Gladiators
- Schedule for Division Semifinals of 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs Presented by SmileDirectClub - ECHL
- Fitze Powers Solar Bears Past IceMen in 5-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tulsa Falls to Wichita in Regular Season Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Closes 2018-19 with Win at Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Beast Close out Regular Season with Loss, Begin Gearing up for Playoffs - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Conclude 2018-19 in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Announce First Round Schedule for Kelly Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Announce Round 1 Playoff Schedule - Adirondack Thunder
- Grizzlies End Regular Season with 7-4 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Railers Close out Season with 5-4 Overtime Thriller in Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Clinch No. 2 Seed with a Point against Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Conclude Regular Season with a Shootout Loss to Maine - Newfoundland Growlers
- Steelheads Close Regular Season with 7-4 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- More Murphy Shootout Magic as Mariners End Inaugural Season with Win - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - April 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Defenseman Eric Sweetman Returns to Steelheads from Grand Rapids - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Predators Prospect Inks Deal with Atlanta - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, April 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Season Ends with a 4-1 Loss to Wichita - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 3-2 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Oilers Clinch First Division Title in 43 Years - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- D-Man Alex Jaeckle Re-Signs with Adirondack
- Rookie Forward Ryan Smith Signs with Adirondack
- Minnesota State Captain Nick Rivera Turns Pro with Thunder
- Veteran Defenseman Mathieu Brodeur Returns to Adirondack
- Defenseman Tommy Parran Re-Signs for a Second Season with Adirondack