Grizzlies End Regular Season with 7-4 Win
West Valley City, Utah - In a preview of a first round playoff series, the Utah Grizzlies got 2 goals from Taylor Richart and Ty Lewis had 1 goal and 3 assists in a 7-4 win over the Idaho Steelheads on Sunday afternoon at Maverik Center.
Idaho led 1-0 as Spencer Naas scored a shorthanded goal 3:31 into the game. Idaho went 2 for 5 on the power play to go along with the shorthanded goal. Idaho led 1-0 after 1 period as they outshot Utah 15 to 4.
Utah scored 4 goals in the second period, including 3 power play goals. Ty Lewis, Jack Walker and Taylor Richart had the power play goals while Josh Dickinson added a 5 on 5 goal. Idaho scored 3 goals in the second period and the score was 4-4 after 2 periods.
Taylor Richart gave Utah a 5-4 lead 18 seconds into the second period as he scored his 2nd of the game. Richart and Teigan Zahn were the only Grizzlies skaters to appear in all 72 regular season games. Utah also got 3rd period goals from Gabriel Verpaelst and Mitch Maxwell to win 7-4.
The Grizzlies were wearing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle specialty jersey's as part of a league wide campaign. $14,750 were raised in a postgame live auction at Maverik Center.
A crowd of 5204 were at Maverik Center for the game. 9345 was the attendance on April 6th as the Grizzlies won 3-2 in overtime. In total 14,549 were in attendance for Fan Appreciation Weekend.
Austin Carroll had 3 assists for the Grizzlies and Caleb Herbert had 2 assists as Utah ended the regular season with a record of 37-26-4-5 and 83 standings points, while Idaho finished the season with a record of 41-25-4-2 and 88 standings points.
It's Utah vs Idaho in the first round of the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs presented by SmileDirectClub. Game 1 is on April 12th at Centurylink Arena in Boise. 7:10 pm face-off.
3 stars of the game
1. Taylor Richart (Utah) - 2 goals.
2. Ty Lewis (Utah) - 1 goal, 3 assists.
3. Jack Walker (Utah) - 1 goal, 2 assists.
Grizzlies notes: Caleb Herbert was named first team all ECHL. He ended the regular season with 32 goals and 39 assists for 71 points. 10 Grizzlies skaters ended the season with double digit goal totals. Ty Lewis had 5 goals and 8 assists in 7 games for Utah since coming over from the AHL's Colorado Eagles.
Images from this story
Utah Grizzlies celebrate a goal
Ty Lewis of the Utah Grizzlies vs. the Idaho Steelheads
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2019
- Rays Finish Sweep of Gladiators, Clinch Playoff Spot - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Rally for Postseason Falls Just Short - Atlanta Gladiators
- Schedule for Division Semifinals of 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs Presented by SmileDirectClub - ECHL
- Fitze Powers Solar Bears Past IceMen in 5-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tulsa Falls to Wichita in Regular Season Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Closes 2018-19 with Win at Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Beast Close out Regular Season with Loss, Begin Gearing up for Playoffs - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Conclude 2018-19 in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Announce First Round Schedule for Kelly Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Announce Round 1 Playoff Schedule - Adirondack Thunder
- Grizzlies End Regular Season with 7-4 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Railers Close out Season with 5-4 Overtime Thriller in Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Clinch No. 2 Seed with a Point against Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Conclude Regular Season with a Shootout Loss to Maine - Newfoundland Growlers
- Steelheads Close Regular Season with 7-4 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- More Murphy Shootout Magic as Mariners End Inaugural Season with Win - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - April 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Defenseman Eric Sweetman Returns to Steelheads from Grand Rapids - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Predators Prospect Inks Deal with Atlanta - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, April 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Season Ends with a 4-1 Loss to Wichita - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 3-2 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Oilers Clinch First Division Title in 43 Years - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.