Season Ends with a 4-1 Loss to Wichita
Wichita, KS- The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild, dropped a 4-1 decision to the Wichita Thunder at the INTRUST bank arena on Saturday night.
The first period would be a goaltender battle between Lukas Hafner and Stuart Skinner, until Spencer Asuchak would find the back of the net at the 7:52 mark of the first period to put Allen up 1-0. Braylon Shmyr and Dante Salituro had the assists.
Wichita would tally one early in the second period, as Stefan Fournier would score his first goal on the night at the 1:35 mark of the second period. The Americans had many scoring opportunities, but the strong Wichita defense would not allow the Americans to net one in the second.
In the final frame Wichita would tally three goals. Stefan Fournier would score his second and third goals on the night completing a natural hat trick. The Americans would not have an answer to the four straight goals by the Thunder.
Things got heated at the end of the game as several fights broke out and both benches would clear. By the time the dust settled, there were a combined 197 penalty minutes handed out.
Spencer Asuchak has become an iron man for his second time in his six years with Allen, playing in all 72 games.
For the first time in the Americans ten-year history, the club failed to qualify for the postseason.
1. WIC - S. Fournier
2. WIC - S. Skinner
3. WIC - L. Bauer
Images from this story
Allen Americans goaltender Lukas Hafner and forward Duggie Lagrone attempt to keep the Tulsa Oilers at bay
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2019
- Rays Finish Sweep of Gladiators, Clinch Playoff Spot - South Carolina Stingrays
- Glads Rally for Postseason Falls Just Short - Atlanta Gladiators
- Schedule for Division Semifinals of 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs Presented by SmileDirectClub - ECHL
- Fitze Powers Solar Bears Past IceMen in 5-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tulsa Falls to Wichita in Regular Season Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Closes 2018-19 with Win at Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Beast Close out Regular Season with Loss, Begin Gearing up for Playoffs - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Conclude 2018-19 in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Announce First Round Schedule for Kelly Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Announce Round 1 Playoff Schedule - Adirondack Thunder
- Grizzlies End Regular Season with 7-4 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Railers Close out Season with 5-4 Overtime Thriller in Adirondack - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Clinch No. 2 Seed with a Point against Worcester - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Conclude Regular Season with a Shootout Loss to Maine - Newfoundland Growlers
- Steelheads Close Regular Season with 7-4 Loss to Grizzlies - Idaho Steelheads
- More Murphy Shootout Magic as Mariners End Inaugural Season with Win - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - April 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Defenseman Eric Sweetman Returns to Steelheads from Grand Rapids - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Predators Prospect Inks Deal with Atlanta - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers at Komets Game Day Snap Shot, April 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Season Ends with a 4-1 Loss to Wichita - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Win 3-2 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Oilers Clinch First Division Title in 43 Years - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.