TinCaps Game Notes: May 5 vs. Quad Cities (Game 29)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (12-16, 7th East) vs. Quad Cities River Bandits (17-10, 1st West)
RHP Adrian Martinez vs. RHP Brett Daniels (Piggyback: RHP Luis Garcia)
Sunday, May 5 - Parkview Field (Fort Wayne, Ind.) - First Pitch 1:05 PM (Game 29 / 140)
WATCH: John Nolan & Brett Rump (Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV)
LISTEN: Mike Maahs & Evan Stockton (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
SATURDAY NIGHT: The TinCaps lost to the River Bandits, 10-3. In his return from the IL, Lee Solomon went 2-for-3 with a double, 3 RBIs, and a walk.
260 TO THE SHOW: 2014-15 TinCaps infielder Josh VanMeter is expected to be called up by the Cincinnati Reds today. When VanMeter debuts, he'll be the 180th former Fort Wayne player to reach the big leagues. VanMeter grew up just 20-something minutes south of Parkview Field in Ossian and went to Norwell High School. After being selected by the Padres in the 5th round of the 2013 MLB Draft, VanMeter was a regular for the 'Caps in the middle of the infield in 2014, playing in 116 games. Most memorably, in the regular season finale, which the TinCaps needed to win to make the playoffs, VanMeter broke a 0-0 tie in the 7th inning at Bowling Green with a 3-run homer. He returned to start the 2015 season in Fort Wayne and suffered a broken left in the opening week of the season. VanMeter came back in August, just in time for Josh VanMeter Bobblehead Day at Parkview Field on Aug. 16, 2015. San Diego dealt him to Cincy in December 2016.
ROSTER MOVES: The Padres have placed left-handed starting pitcher Ryan Weathers on Fort Wayne's 7-Day Injured List. Righty Austin Smith has been transferred to the TinCaps from Extended Spring Training. Smith, who was San Diego's first selection in the 2015 MLB Draft, has pitched for the 'Caps each of the last 3 seasons as well.
RIVER BANDITS RALLYING: The River Bandits call Modern Woodmen Park in Downtown Davenport, Iowa, their home. The ballpark is located literally feet a few feet off the Mississippi River. Due to severe flooding in the area, the stadium currently looks like it's on an island. This is the worst flood in Davenport since 1993. So far this season the Bandits have only been able to play 3 true home games, while having other home games relocated to Burlington, Cedar Rapids, Peoria, and next week, Iowa City. Despite the adversity, Quad Cities has the best record in the 16-team MWL.
RUIZ RIPPING IT: Outfielder Agustin Ruiz has the 12th best Batting Average in the MWL at .312. His 19 RBIs are tied for 4th. To help explain his success, look to his Line Drive % on batted balls, which according to FanGraphs, is at 30% - 2nd highest in the MWL. Ruiz had a 9-game Hitting Streak & 12-game On-Base Streak end Thursday.
LITTLE DROUGHT: Outfielder Grant Little was batting .344 with a .412 OBP in 16 games through April 23, but has only 1 hit and 5 walks over his last 8 games. He snapped an 0-for-22 drought Saturday with a double.
DWS OBP: Outfielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton has reached base in 20 of the 22 games he's played in this season. He opened the year on a 14-game on-base streak. DWS has raised his BB% from 8% last year as a rookie to 16% this season. That said, Williams-Sutton, who hit the team's first homer of the season on April 6, has only 1 extra-base hit since, a double on April 9.
HUNTING HITS: Catcher Blake Hunt has the 11th lowest K% in the MWL (15%), but also the 10th lowest BABIP (.227).
WALK & RUN: Outfielder Jawuan Harris has walked in 18% of his plate appearances this season. That's the 8th highest BB% in the MWL (and a jump from 14% for him last year as a rookie). Harris is also tied for 6th in the MWL in Runs (17) despite only starting in 23 games & batting 9th every time.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 5, 2019
- Locos Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Drop Series Finale in Lansing - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Win 11-3 Sunday, Martinez Tosses Perfect Frame - Peoria Chiefs
- Bojarski Hits for Cycle in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 9-5 Victory - Burlington Bees
- Picantes Blank Cougars, 4-0 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Fall in Series Finale with Cubs - Clinton LumberKings
- Cubs Snap Skid and Beat Clinton 3-2 in Series Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Sands Sends Kernels to Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Strand 11 in Shutout Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Winning Ways Continue - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin Misses Opportunities in 4-1 Loss to Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Fall in Cedar Rapids to Close Road Trip, 4-0 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Late Rally Comes Up a Little Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bandits Record Sixth Consecutive Win by Beating Fort Wayne 4-3 in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 5 vs. Quad Cities (Game 29) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay for Sunday (3:05 EDT) - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Snap Losing Skid with Comeback Effort - Lake County Captains
- Lumberkings Strike Out 18 In 4-3 Victory - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Offense Shunned After First Inning - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Anthony Contreras Ties Wins Record for a Fort Wayne Manager
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 16 vs. Lake County (Game 68)
- Captains Even Series in Marathon Game
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 15 vs. Lake County (Game 67)
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory