Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes
About Yesterday... The Bowling Green Bootleggers' pitching staff was lights out in the 3-0 shutout win over the Peoria Distillers on Saturday night to even the three-game series while also taking home the Battle for the Barrel. After two scoreless innings, Michael Smith led off the third with a double to right and went to third when Ford Proctor singled. Wander Franco hit a sac fly to right, scoring Smith to give BG a 1-0 lead. Another run scored in the sixth when Beau Brundage tripled and scored on a wild pitch, extending the Bootlegger lead to 2-0. Bowling Green padded their lead with a run in the eighth when Jake Palomaki singled to drive in Brundage, capping the scoring. Bootleggers pitching turned in a stingy outing, tossing their second shutout of the year with 15 strikeouts in the win.
Roll out the barrel... The Bootleggers are taking home the traveling trophy for the Battle for the Barrel for the second year in a row. In the two games between the Bootleggers and the Distillers, Bowling Green has out scored Peoria 11-1. The Bootleggers will hold onto the trophy for another year until the series' third installment in 2020.
Opener... The Hot Rods will utilize an opener for the second time this season, but the first time with a nine-inning game when Steffon Moore takes the mound on Sunday evening. Miguel Lara was the first opener this season, starting the second game of a double header in Cedar Rapids on May 1. Lara tossed two shutout innings while allowing a hit and three walks in a 6-4 loss to the Kernels.
Betts ... Chris Betts is putting together an impressive streak behind the plate for Bowling Green this season. Betts has caught 15 games for the Hot Rods this season with Bowling Green posting a 12-3 record when he's behind the dish. He's won each of his last 10 starts as the starting catcher and the staff has an ERA of 2.63 in those games.
We're going streaking... Michael Smith extended his on-base streak to 15 games on Saturday against Peoria. The outfielder is batting .326 over that stretch with a .473 OBP. He's collected 14 hits including a double and a triple with 12 walks and seven strikeouts. The streak is tied for the seventh longest on-base streak in the MWL this season behind Jerar Enarnacion's (CLI) 20-gamer, Reggie Pruitt's (LAN) 19-game streak, Alejandro Kirk's (LAN) 17-game stretch, and Trey Cabbage (CR) and Miguel Vargas' (GL) 16-game streaks.
Wandering Award... Wander Franco was named the Midwest League Player of the Week on Monday following a seven day tear that saw the shortstop extend his hit streak to 12-games before losing it on Sunday. During the week Franco slashed .429/.500/1.000 over six games, bashing three homers in addition to three doubles, five RBI, seven runs, three walks, and a stolen base. The week included a two-homer performance by the 18-year-old on April 25 in a 6-5 series-opening win.
Yesterday's Notes... Smith extended his hit streak to four games... He also extended his on-base streak to 14 games... Bowling Green pitching struck out double-digit batters for the third straight game... Cumbie leads the team in saves with four... Saturday was the second shutout of the season for Bowling Green... They're 2-4 in shutouts this season... Proctor had his sixth multi-hit game of the season... Palomaki had his fourth... Saturday was McClanahan's second scoreless outing of the season... He's first was in the season opener on April 4 in Dayton... The two walks he allowed are also his lowest total since the opener... Bowling Green is 2-0 as the Bootleggers...
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 5, 2019
- Locos Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Drop Series Finale in Lansing - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Win 11-3 Sunday, Martinez Tosses Perfect Frame - Peoria Chiefs
- Bojarski Hits for Cycle in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 9-5 Victory - Burlington Bees
- Picantes Blank Cougars, 4-0 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Fall in Series Finale with Cubs - Clinton LumberKings
- Cubs Snap Skid and Beat Clinton 3-2 in Series Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Sands Sends Kernels to Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Strand 11 in Shutout Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Winning Ways Continue - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin Misses Opportunities in 4-1 Loss to Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Fall in Cedar Rapids to Close Road Trip, 4-0 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Late Rally Comes Up a Little Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bandits Record Sixth Consecutive Win by Beating Fort Wayne 4-3 in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 5 vs. Quad Cities (Game 29) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay for Sunday (3:05 EDT) - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Snap Losing Skid with Comeback Effort - Lake County Captains
- Lumberkings Strike Out 18 In 4-3 Victory - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Offense Shunned After First Inning - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- Hot Rods Announce Second-Annual Charity Dinner and Silent Auction
- Hot Rods to Join Copa de la Diversion as Bolidos
- Hot Rods Will Host 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game at Bowling Green Ballpark
- Eric Leach Named Midwest League 2019 Executive of the Year
- Hot Rods Blow Lead in Ninth, Watch Season End with 7-4 Loss