Cougars Strand 11 in Shutout Loss
Eastlake, Ohio- The Kane County Cougars (17-13) left 11 runners on the bases in a 4-0 loss to the Lake County Captains (15-13) on Sunday afternoon at Classic Park. The Captains took the series, dropping the Cougars to 3-3 on the road trip.
The Cougars' offensive frustrations began in the first inning. They loaded the bases with two outs and stranded all three. They stranded runners in scoring position in the fourth, fifth and seventh. The offense had its best chance of the day with the bases loaded and no one out in the eighth inning. Blaze Alexander grounded back to the pitcher and Lake County got the force at home. Andy Yerzy followed by grounding into an inning-ending double play.
Matt Tabor impressed in his Cougar debut, hurling four innings of one-hit, no-run ball. He tied a Cougar staff season-high with seven strikeouts and didn't walk anybody.
Ryan Miller (0-4) came out of the bullpen to work the fifth. In his first inning, he retired the Captains in order. However, Miller walked the first batter of the sixth, hit the next batter and allowed a single to Quentin Holmes to load the bases before being removed from the game. Ethan Larrison replaced Miller and induced a 4-6-3 double play on the first batter he faced, but Jesse Berardi scored from third to make it 1-0. The next hitter, Tyler Freeman, singled to right to extend the Lake County lead to 2-0.
Against Larrison in the Captains' seventh, Mitch Reeves hit a solo homer and Bo Naylor collected a sacrifice fly.
Reliever Aaron Pinto (3-1) earned the win for the Captains. He threw a spotless fifth and sixth inning.
The Cougars head back home for a six-game stretch, beginning with a 6:30 p.m. first pitch against Great Lakes on Monday night. Purchase tickets by calling 630-232-8811 or order online at kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 5, 2019
- Locos Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Drop Series Finale in Lansing - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Win 11-3 Sunday, Martinez Tosses Perfect Frame - Peoria Chiefs
- Bojarski Hits for Cycle in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 9-5 Victory - Burlington Bees
- Picantes Blank Cougars, 4-0 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Fall in Series Finale with Cubs - Clinton LumberKings
- Cubs Snap Skid and Beat Clinton 3-2 in Series Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Sands Sends Kernels to Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Strand 11 in Shutout Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Winning Ways Continue - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin Misses Opportunities in 4-1 Loss to Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Fall in Cedar Rapids to Close Road Trip, 4-0 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Late Rally Comes Up a Little Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bandits Record Sixth Consecutive Win by Beating Fort Wayne 4-3 in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 5 vs. Quad Cities (Game 29) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay for Sunday (3:05 EDT) - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Snap Losing Skid with Comeback Effort - Lake County Captains
- Lumberkings Strike Out 18 In 4-3 Victory - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Offense Shunned After First Inning - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.