Winning Ways Continue
MIDLAND, Mich. - Well wouldn't you know it! The Great Lakes Loons are no longer just one of the hottest teams in the Midwest League, they hold one of the longest streaks in the country. On Sunday afternoon with temperatures near 70 degrees to help get May started, the Loons swept their second series a row and won their ninth consecutive game with a 4-1 victory over the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.
It is the longest win streak for the Loons (17-12) since their franchise-best 10-game run in June 2015. It's also the second longest win streak in all of professional baseball behind only the Down East Wooducks of the Carolina League who have won 10 straight.
Great Lakes has the long ball to thank for their latest win as Niko Hulsizer and Central Michigan product Dan Robinson both launched home runs in the 1st and 5th innings, respectively. For Hulsizer, it was his fifth of the season which leads the team and puts him near the top of the Midwest League leaders.
As a pitching staff, the Loons scattered eight Wisconsin hits to allow just one run. Zach Willeman made his season debut after the joining the team prior to first pitch and did not disappoint tossing four shutout innings. The combination of Drew Finely (W, 1-0), Jasiel Alvino (H, 2) and Nathan Witt (SV, 1) allowed just one run over the final five frames.
Despite drawing just three walks on Sunday, which is far below their per-game average, the Loons still lead all of Minor League Baseball as they've drawn 166 walks in their first 29 games this season. The team's major-league affiliate the Los Angeles Dodgers lead Major League Baseball in walks drawn with 148.
It's now back on the bus to see if they can keep the winning streak alive. The Loons travel to greater Chicago to face the Kane County Cougars beginning on Monday. The location of their series with Quad Cities River Bandits Wednesday thru Friday will depend on the flood conditions in towns near the Mississippi River.
Niko Hulsizer: 2-for-3, HR, RBI, 2 R, BB
Dan Robinson: 2-for-4, 3B, HR, 2 RB, R
James Outman: 2-for-3, R, BB
May 13: Military Monday pres. by Betten Baker
May 14: Two-fer Tuesday feat. any ladies cap & tank top for $24.99, plus two stadium hot dogs for $6
May 15: School Kids Day with first pitch at 10:35 a.m.; the perfect 5-0 Great Lakes Camels will be in action
May 24: Feel Good Friday Kickoff; postgame Koozie Giveaway & concert with Jack Droppers & the Best Intentions
May 25: 3 Millionth Fan Celebration with $5,000 grand prize; postgame Fireworks Loontacular
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 5, 2019
- Locos Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Drop Series Finale in Lansing - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Win 11-3 Sunday, Martinez Tosses Perfect Frame - Peoria Chiefs
- Bojarski Hits for Cycle in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 9-5 Victory - Burlington Bees
- Picantes Blank Cougars, 4-0 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Fall in Series Finale with Cubs - Clinton LumberKings
- Cubs Snap Skid and Beat Clinton 3-2 in Series Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Sands Sends Kernels to Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Strand 11 in Shutout Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Winning Ways Continue - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin Misses Opportunities in 4-1 Loss to Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Fall in Cedar Rapids to Close Road Trip, 4-0 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Late Rally Comes Up a Little Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bandits Record Sixth Consecutive Win by Beating Fort Wayne 4-3 in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 5 vs. Quad Cities (Game 29) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay for Sunday (3:05 EDT) - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Snap Losing Skid with Comeback Effort - Lake County Captains
- Lumberkings Strike Out 18 In 4-3 Victory - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Offense Shunned After First Inning - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Great Lakes Loons Stories
- Hot Rods Handle Loons
- Sunday Funday in Midland
- Thanks for the Wild Pitches
- Loons bounce back to even series with TinCaps with 6-3 win
- Pitcher's Duel Goes Fort Wayne's Way