Lumberkings Strike Out 18 In 4-3 Victory
CLINTON, IA - Chris Vallimont continued his strong start to the 2019 season, striking out 12 in his second quality start of the season. RBI hits from Marcos Rivera, Connor Scott, and Demetrius Sims provided more than enough offense for the Clinton pitching staff. The LumberKings (15-12), guided by Vallimont, Nathan Alexander, Tyler Mitzel, and Zach Wolf, struck out every Cubs (14-14) hitter at least once.
Vallimont who has been dominant despite low run support, earned his first win as a LumberKing. Over his six innings, Vallimont struck out 12 hitters while allowing only four hits and one walk. Vallimont's only blemishes came in the form of a bloop hit in the 3rd inning and a Nelson Velazquez solo home run in the 4th.
The LumberKings got the scoring started in the 1st when Connor Scott was able to score on a South Bend error, then followed it up with an RBI double in the 3rd inning to put Clinton on top for good. Sims would bring Scott in on a ground out. Marcos Rivera drove in the LumberKings' final tally in the 4th inning, bringing Sean Reynolds home on a sacrifice fly.
Zach Wolf was able to hold off a late South Bend rally when as the Cubs plated one run in the 9th and found the tying run on second.
The LumberKings will now go for the sweep against the South Bend Cubs in the third and final game of the series on Saturday night. Clinton will throw Alberto Guererro (2-0, 3.71) while the Cubs will counter with Brailyn Marquez (0-0, 3.94). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Brad Seward on the call at 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio ap at 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show.
Sunday is the second LumberKings Copa Day of 2019! Be sure to head out to the park to see the LumberKings become the "Clinton Elotes" on Cinco De Mayo! Fans ages 21 and over can enter for a chance to win one of nine Corona Mini-Fridges.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 5, 2019
- Locos Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Drop Series Finale in Lansing - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Win 11-3 Sunday, Martinez Tosses Perfect Frame - Peoria Chiefs
- Bojarski Hits for Cycle in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 9-5 Victory - Burlington Bees
- Picantes Blank Cougars, 4-0 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Fall in Series Finale with Cubs - Clinton LumberKings
- Cubs Snap Skid and Beat Clinton 3-2 in Series Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Sands Sends Kernels to Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Strand 11 in Shutout Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Winning Ways Continue - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin Misses Opportunities in 4-1 Loss to Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Fall in Cedar Rapids to Close Road Trip, 4-0 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Late Rally Comes Up a Little Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bandits Record Sixth Consecutive Win by Beating Fort Wayne 4-3 in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 5 vs. Quad Cities (Game 29) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay for Sunday (3:05 EDT) - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Snap Losing Skid with Comeback Effort - Lake County Captains
- Lumberkings Strike Out 18 In 4-3 Victory - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Offense Shunned After First Inning - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.