TinCaps Late Rally Comes Up a Little Short
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - Fort Wayne rallied late to send the game to extra innings, but Quad Cities (Houston Astros) eked out a 4-3 win in 11 innings on a sunny Sunday at Parkview Field.
The game remained scoreless through six innings via some excellent starting pitching. Brett Daniels, the starter for Quad Cities (18-10), tossed five scoreless frames in his start, scattering four hits while striking out three and walking three.
Adrian Martinez was also superb for Fort Wayne (12-17). The 22-year-old from Mexico allowed just two hits in five scoreless frames while striking out three and walking two. Martinez had yet to make a start this season for the TinCaps - his five prior appearances had been out of the bullpen.
Fort Wayne's best chance to score off of Daniels came in the fifth inning, when the 'Caps loaded the bases with nobody out. Yet, Daniels bore down, inducing two groundouts (including one that turned into an inning-ending double play) that wiggled him out of the jam.
The River Bandits opened the scoring in the seventh, scoring two runs via an RBI single by Enmanuel Valdez and an RBI groundout from Cesar Salazar. Valdez and Salazar combined for four RBIs in the three-game weekend series.
The TinCaps rallied to tie the game with two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning. First, Grant Little reached on an error leading off the frame, and Agustin Ruiz drove him home with an opposite-field double that one-hopped the left field wall. Then, Dwanya Williams-Sutton looped a single into center field that scored Ruiz and tied the game. It was the first RBI for "DWS" since April 25 (six-game span).
The game went into extra innings, and Quad Cities took the lead for good in the top of the 11th. Per MiLB rules, the inning started with a runner at second and nobody out. After a lineout to left, Jonathan Lacroix hoisted a fly ball into right-center field that fell in between Jawuan Harris and Williams-Sutton, scoring Trey Dawson. The River Bandits later added another run in the frame via a Valdez RBI single.
Fort Wayne nearly came back in the bottom half of the 11th. Justin Lopez started off the frame on second, moved to third on a wild pitch, and scored on a one-out, RBI groundout by Lee Solomon. Solomon finished the series with four runs driven in. A strikeout after that ended the game, earning Devin Conn his second save of the season.
Monday, May 6 @ Wisconsin (7:35 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Ramon Perez
- Timber Rattlers Probable Starter: LHP Scotty Suntisch
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 5, 2019
- Locos Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Drop Series Finale in Lansing - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Win 11-3 Sunday, Martinez Tosses Perfect Frame - Peoria Chiefs
- Bojarski Hits for Cycle in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 9-5 Victory - Burlington Bees
- Picantes Blank Cougars, 4-0 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Fall in Series Finale with Cubs - Clinton LumberKings
- Cubs Snap Skid and Beat Clinton 3-2 in Series Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Sands Sends Kernels to Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Strand 11 in Shutout Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Winning Ways Continue - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin Misses Opportunities in 4-1 Loss to Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Fall in Cedar Rapids to Close Road Trip, 4-0 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Late Rally Comes Up a Little Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bandits Record Sixth Consecutive Win by Beating Fort Wayne 4-3 in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 5 vs. Quad Cities (Game 29) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay for Sunday (3:05 EDT) - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Snap Losing Skid with Comeback Effort - Lake County Captains
- Lumberkings Strike Out 18 In 4-3 Victory - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Offense Shunned After First Inning - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Anthony Contreras Ties Wins Record for a Fort Wayne Manager
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 16 vs. Lake County (Game 68)
- Captains Even Series in Marathon Game
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 15 vs. Lake County (Game 67)
- Season-High Crowd Watches TinCaps Slug Their Way to Victory