Bandits Record Sixth Consecutive Win by Beating Fort Wayne 4-3 in Extras
Fort Wayne, IN - The Quad Cities River Bandits completed a 6-0 road trip to the Eastern Division with a 4-3 win over the Fort Wayne TinCaps in 11 innings on Sunday afternoon at Parkview Field. The Bandits remain alone in first place in the Western Division after sweeping consecutive series.
After six scoreless innings to start the game, the River Bandits (18-10) finally broke through in the top of the seventh inning. Jeremy Pena legged out an infield single to start the attack. He was able to advance into scoring position when reliever Austin Smith committed a balk. Enmanuel Valdez took advantage of the mistake by lining a single into center field that plated Pena and gave the River Bandits a 1-0 lead. Valdez moved to second on the throw to the plate and advanced to third on David Hensley's fly ball to right. A groundball off of first baseman Nick Feight allowed Valdez to score from third and give the Bandits a 2-0 lead.
Fort Wayne (12-17) was able to even the game in their half of the eighth. Valdez misplayed a groundball to third from Grant Little to start the inning with a two-base error. The TinCaps got on the board when Agustin Ruiz followed the error with a booming double to left field. Dwanya Williams-Sutton pulled theme even with a sharp single up the middle. Bandits pitcher Luis Garcia stranded the go-ahead run with three consecutive strikeouts.
Neither team scored in the ninth inning so the game carried into extra-innings. The Bandits came up empty in the top half of the 10th frame, leaving Fort Wayne with a chance to win in the bottom half. The TinCaps put the winning run on third with no outs after a leadoff bunt single, but Garcia wiggled off the hook with two groundballs and a strikeout.
Quad Cities jumped back on top in the 11th. An errant pickoff throw to second from Carlos Belen moved Dawson to third base. With one out, Jonathan Lacroix's shallow fly ball to right was misplayed by two outfielders for an error that allowed Trey Dawson to score. Before the inning concluded, Valdez added another RBI single to widen the gap to 4-2.
In the bottom of final inning, Fort Wayne used a fly ball and a groundout to score the runner from second base before Devin Conn shut the door with a strikeout of Feight to end the game.
Garcia earned the victory by working 5.0 innings and allowing two runs, one earned, on three hits. He struck out a game-high six batters. Brett Daniels, who started the game, went 5.0 scoreless innings while scattering four hits.
Valdez led the way offensively for the River Bandits with a 3-5 day at the plate including a double and two runs batted in. Pena added two hits of his own to the cause. Little paced Fort Wayne with a pair of hits.
The River Bandits return to the state of Iowa to host the Lansing Lugnuts in the opening game of a three-game set on Monday night at 6:35 p.m. The entire series will be played at Banks Field on the campus of the University of Iowa. Admission is free, but the River Bandits will be accepting donations to the Genesis Flood Relief Fund. RHP Austin Hansen (3-1, 2.00) will take the mound for the River Bandits against Lansing RHP Cobi Johnson (0-1, 3.38).
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 5, 2019
- Locos Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Drop Series Finale in Lansing - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Win 11-3 Sunday, Martinez Tosses Perfect Frame - Peoria Chiefs
- Bojarski Hits for Cycle in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 9-5 Victory - Burlington Bees
- Picantes Blank Cougars, 4-0 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Fall in Series Finale with Cubs - Clinton LumberKings
- Cubs Snap Skid and Beat Clinton 3-2 in Series Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Sands Sends Kernels to Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Strand 11 in Shutout Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Winning Ways Continue - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin Misses Opportunities in 4-1 Loss to Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Fall in Cedar Rapids to Close Road Trip, 4-0 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Late Rally Comes Up a Little Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bandits Record Sixth Consecutive Win by Beating Fort Wayne 4-3 in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 5 vs. Quad Cities (Game 29) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay for Sunday (3:05 EDT) - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Snap Losing Skid with Comeback Effort - Lake County Captains
- Lumberkings Strike Out 18 In 4-3 Victory - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Offense Shunned After First Inning - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- Bandits Postponed by Unplayable Field Conditions in Beloit
- Four Run First Helps Bandits to Victory
- Early Lead Doesn't Hold as Bandits Fall 4-2 in Beloit
- Adolph Narrowly Misses Cycle as Bandits Beat Beloit 7-2
- RHP Layne Henderson transferred from Corpus Christi to Quad Cities