Cubs Snap Skid and Beat Clinton 3-2 in Series Finale
Clinton, IA: After dropping the first two games of a three game set against the Clinton LumberKings, the South Bend Cubs rallied back on Sunday afternoon to beat the LumberKings in the series finale and to end the six game road trip by a final of 3-2.
With their hard-throwing and talented lefty Brailyn Marquez on the mound, South Bend looked for a strong start if they wanted to avoid being swept by Clinton. Marquez lasted four innings, while giving up two runs which were both unearned. The Chicago Cubs number one pitching prospect also picked up three strikeouts.
The South Bend bullpen took it from there. Jack Patterson, Chicago's 32nd round pick last season, has been nothing but spectacular since arriving in South Bend two weeks ago. Patterson posted another three scoreless innings today with three strikeouts. He earned his second Midwest League win.
Ryan Lawlor picked up his first save in a South Bend uniform with two shutout innings. Lawlor, a usual piggyback reliever or starting pitcher, was tasked with the late inning work today. He also posted three punch outs.
Clinton led the game 2-1 heading to the top of the 5th inning, but South Bend scored the game's final two runs including a D.J. Artis go-ahead solo home run in the 8th. Artis' first Midwest League home run gave Lawlor the opportunity to earn the save.
With the win, the Cubs hop back above .500 at 15-14 on the season. On the road trip, South Bend went just 2-4, but they now end it on a positive note with a six game homestand upcoming.
The Cubs will take on the Cedar Rapids Kernels for the first of three games tomorrow night at Four Winds Field starting at 7:05 PM. Derek Casey is the expected starter for South Bend, fresh off his best start of the season in Burlington after coming off the Injured List.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 5, 2019
- Locos Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Drop Series Finale in Lansing - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Win 11-3 Sunday, Martinez Tosses Perfect Frame - Peoria Chiefs
- Bojarski Hits for Cycle in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 9-5 Victory - Burlington Bees
- Picantes Blank Cougars, 4-0 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Fall in Series Finale with Cubs - Clinton LumberKings
- Cubs Snap Skid and Beat Clinton 3-2 in Series Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Sands Sends Kernels to Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Strand 11 in Shutout Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Winning Ways Continue - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin Misses Opportunities in 4-1 Loss to Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Fall in Cedar Rapids to Close Road Trip, 4-0 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Late Rally Comes Up a Little Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bandits Record Sixth Consecutive Win by Beating Fort Wayne 4-3 in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 5 vs. Quad Cities (Game 29) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay for Sunday (3:05 EDT) - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Snap Losing Skid with Comeback Effort - Lake County Captains
- Lumberkings Strike Out 18 In 4-3 Victory - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Offense Shunned After First Inning - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- Cubs and Whitecaps Washed Away Saturday Night
- Cubs Open Series at Whitecaps with 5-3 Win
- Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale
- Chicago Cubs World Series Trophy Appearance Highlights Fan Fest Pre-Game Activities
- 2019 All-Star Game & Festivities Get Underway this Weekend