Sands Sends Kernels to Victory
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - Cole Sands was terrific on the mound on Sunday as the Kernels defeated Dayton 4-0, avoiding a three-game sweep. Sands (1-0) earned his first win after tossing seven scoreless innings. He allowed just three hits while striking out six and walking none. Austin Schulfer finished the game on the mound and did not allow a run or hit over the final two innings, striking out three.
Cedar Rapids (13-16) got on the board early with a pair of two-out RBI hits in the first inning. Chris Williams doubled to score Gabriel Maciel from third base, putting the Kernels up 1-0. Gilberto Celestino followed with a RBI single to bring home Williams.
The Kernels increased the lead to 3-0 in the second inning with another two-out RBI hit. Maciel's RBI single to right field brought home David Banuelos, who singled to begin the frame.
Banuelos gave the Kernels their final run with a solo home run that led off the seventh inning. The second of the season for the team's catcher went to left field and put Cedar Rapids in front 4-0.
Williams finished with two doubles on the day. Banuelos, Maciel, and Jacob Pearson also had two hits each.
James Marinan (1-3) took the loss for Dayton (10-19), despite going seven innings on the mound. He allowed four runs on nine hits.
The game wrapped up in just one hour and 50 minutes. It was the first time the Kernels had completed a nine-inning game in less than two hours since May 1, 2015 v. Clinton.
The Kernels now hit the road for a six-game trip to South Bend and West Michigan. Monday's opener against the South Bend Cubs begins at 6:05 pm (CST). Broadcast coverage of the game can be found on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and online at www.kmryradio.com and www.kernels.com.
Cedar Rapids next plays at home on May 13, hosting Quad Cities for a doubleheader at 5:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 5, 2019
- Locos Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with 7-5 Victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers Drop Series Finale in Lansing - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Win 11-3 Sunday, Martinez Tosses Perfect Frame - Peoria Chiefs
- Bojarski Hits for Cycle in Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Take Series with 9-5 Victory - Burlington Bees
- Picantes Blank Cougars, 4-0 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Fall in Series Finale with Cubs - Clinton LumberKings
- Cubs Snap Skid and Beat Clinton 3-2 in Series Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Sands Sends Kernels to Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Strand 11 in Shutout Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Winning Ways Continue - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin Misses Opportunities in 4-1 Loss to Loons - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Fall in Cedar Rapids to Close Road Trip, 4-0 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Late Rally Comes Up a Little Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bandits Record Sixth Consecutive Win by Beating Fort Wayne 4-3 in Extras - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 5 vs. Quad Cities (Game 29) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay for Sunday (3:05 EDT) - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Snap Losing Skid with Comeback Effort - Lake County Captains
- Lumberkings Strike Out 18 In 4-3 Victory - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Offense Shunned After First Inning - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.