TinCaps Game Notes: July 15 at Clinton (Game 92)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (7-16, 40-51) @ Clinton LumberKings (16-7, 49-43)
LHP Joey Cantillo vs. RHP Jake Walters
Monday, July 15 - NelsonCorp Field (Clinton, Iowa) - First Pitch 12:00 PM (Game 92 / 138)
LISTEN: John Nolan (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
LAST GAME: The TinCaps lost to the Lumber Kings, 8-2. Grant Little, Tucupita Marcano, and Michael Curry each had 2 hits.
CANTILLO DAY: In the Midwest League, Joey Cantillo, the reigning MWL Player of the Month, has the lowest ERA (2.07), average against (.166), WHIP (0.86), FIP (2.11) & xFIP (2.49)... highest K/9 (11.80) & K% (34%)... best K-BB% (27%)... 2nd lowest HR/9 (0.24) & K/BB (2.62)... and 4th highest swinging miss% (14%).
ROSTER MOVES: On Sunday the Padres transferred infielder Luis Almanzar from the TinCaps to the AZL Padres 2. Infielder Ethan Skender has joined the 'Caps from Arizona. He made his debut Sunday, DH-ing and batting fifth. Skender, who's from Metamora, IL, which is just about 15 miles northeast of Peoria, was drafted by San Diego in the 28th round of the 2016 MLB Draft out of State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota. Injury prevented him from making his pro debut until this summer. In 14 games in the Arizona League, the 22-year-old was slashing .385/.441/.673 (1.114 OPS) with 2 doubles, 2 triples, 3 homers, and 15 RBIs... Skender became the 43rd different TinCap this season (19 position players, 24 pitchers).
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have the best ratio of strikeouts to walks in the MWL this season (3.14). 'Caps pitchers have also walked the fewest batters in the MWL, averaging only 3.0 per 9 innings. Over the last 3 games, Fort Wayne pitchers have 33 strikeouts and only 4 walks.
SHUTTING THE DOOR: Fort Wayne's bullpen has been close to lights out the last 8 games, tossing 32.2 innings with 4 earned runs (1.10 ERA) and 37 Ks.
MAKING HIS MARK: Infielder Tucupita Marcano has the 2nd lowest K% (9%) and swinging strike % (4%) in the MWL.
HOT CURRY: After a slow start to the season, since Memorial Day Weekend, Michael Curry has been one of the MWL's top hitters. In 37 games since May 26, Curry has slashed .298/.394/.488 (.882 OPS) with 8 doubles, 5 homers, and 22 RBIs. Curry's OPS during this stretch ranks 6th in the MWL.
HUNTING HITS: Like Curry, catcher Blake Hunt has had a different kind of season since May 26. Over his last 31 games, Hunt has slashed .325/.367/.462 (.829 OPS) with 11 doubles, 1 triple, 1 homer, and 17 RBIs.
WALK & RUN: Outfielder Jawuan Harris has the 2nd highest BB% in the MWL at 16%. He's also 6th in stolen bases with 19.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Snappers' Road Trip Ends On Sour Note - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars End Road Trip with Bang - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Complete Series Sweep over Beloit with 9-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Use Three Pitchers in 9-1 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Kai-Wei Teng Named MWL Pitcher of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Swipe Finale from Cubs 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Hot Rods Sweep Timber Rattlers With 8-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Fort Wayne Ends Trip With Extra-Inning L - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Come up a Touchdown Short, 14-7 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits Win Extra-Inning Game and Series in South Bend - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Drops Final Game of Road Trip with 8-4 Loss to Hot Rods - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- LumberKings Complete Sweep with 11-inning Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Javier, Kernels Blast Lugnuts for 14-7 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whalen Collects Two Hits Monday for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Monday Matinee Victory - Great Lakes Loons
- Schneemann Wins Player of the Week Honors - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Lose to Captains 5-2 Late in Game - Burlington Bees
- River Bandits to Host Child Safety Night at Modern Woodmen Park on Friday - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 15 at Clinton (Game 92) - Fort Wayne TinCaps