Whalen Collects Two Hits Monday for Chiefs
Peoria, IL - Although the pitching staff recorded 11 strikeouts, the Peoria Chiefs fell to the Great Lakes Loons 3-1 Monday afternoon at Dozer Park. Tony Locey struck out six batters over two hitless innings of relief, left with the lead and was named the Pekin Insurance Beyond the Expected Player of the Game.
After five scoreless innings, the Chiefs opened the scoring in the bottom of the sixth against Great Lakes starter Jose Martinez. With one out, Brady Whalen hit a triple into the right field corner. After recording five hits Sunday night, Herrera followed with a single to score Whalen and give the Chiefs a 1-0 lead.
Starter Michael Baird threw four shutout innings and Locey had two shutout innings. The Chiefs have the day off Tuesday and the next home game is July 27.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Snappers' Road Trip Ends On Sour Note - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars End Road Trip with Bang - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Complete Series Sweep over Beloit with 9-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Use Three Pitchers in 9-1 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Kai-Wei Teng Named MWL Pitcher of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Swipe Finale from Cubs 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Hot Rods Sweep Timber Rattlers With 8-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Fort Wayne Ends Trip With Extra-Inning L - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Come up a Touchdown Short, 14-7 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits Win Extra-Inning Game and Series in South Bend - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Drops Final Game of Road Trip with 8-4 Loss to Hot Rods - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- LumberKings Complete Sweep with 11-inning Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Javier, Kernels Blast Lugnuts for 14-7 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whalen Collects Two Hits Monday for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Monday Matinee Victory - Great Lakes Loons
- Schneemann Wins Player of the Week Honors - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Lose to Captains 5-2 Late in Game - Burlington Bees
- River Bandits to Host Child Safety Night at Modern Woodmen Park on Friday - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 15 at Clinton (Game 92) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.