Bees Lose to Captains 5-2 Late in Game
All-Star Robinson Pina gave Burlington 6 strong innings, and a 2-1 lead before bowing to relief help after 85 pitches, but for the second day in a row the Bees bullpen could not hold it, and the Lake County Captains came out on top 5-2.
Justin Jones doubled home Harrison Wenson in the home third. Jones is batting .364 in his last 10 games, and has been on base in six straight.
Jordyn Adams was 3-4 on night with his fifth home run of the season, and a walk.
Varela, a 2019 free agent signee out of Long Island University, making his first full season appearance, got through the seventh with a strikeout, double ground ball out, fly out.
He walked the first two batters he faced, and manager Jack Howell went to the pen again. Mayky Perez allowed those walks to score, plus two more, giving Lake County the final 5-2 lead.
The series ends Monday night. Burlington is off Tuesday then travels to the Eastern Division to face Lansing and Great lakes.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Snappers' Road Trip Ends On Sour Note - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars End Road Trip with Bang - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Complete Series Sweep over Beloit with 9-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Use Three Pitchers in 9-1 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Kai-Wei Teng Named MWL Pitcher of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Swipe Finale from Cubs 4-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Hot Rods Sweep Timber Rattlers With 8-4 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Fort Wayne Ends Trip With Extra-Inning L - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Come up a Touchdown Short, 14-7 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits Win Extra-Inning Game and Series in South Bend - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Drops Final Game of Road Trip with 8-4 Loss to Hot Rods - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- LumberKings Complete Sweep with 11-inning Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Javier, Kernels Blast Lugnuts for 14-7 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whalen Collects Two Hits Monday for Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Monday Matinee Victory - Great Lakes Loons
- Schneemann Wins Player of the Week Honors - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Lose to Captains 5-2 Late in Game - Burlington Bees
- River Bandits to Host Child Safety Night at Modern Woodmen Park on Friday - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 15 at Clinton (Game 92) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.